thick & creamy candy cane milkshake

creamy-candy-cane-milkshake-vegan-soy-free-from-bring-joyYou know what I love during the Christmas season?

Candy cane milkshakes.

Also, I love how ambitious kids get.

Like, take a look at my 7 & 8 year old’s letter to Santa.

letter-to-santaA Wii? An x-box? (I laughed out loud when I read that.)

I know for a fact they’ve never played an X-box before, it’s just something they’ve heard kids at school talk about. And I think they played the Wii once or twice at a cousin’s house.

2,000(!) red, blue & dark green long Lego pieces? 40 Lego goblets, 20 Lego chickens, 30 Lego pics, 4 big Lego trolls? And the list goes on.

My boys know what they want & they’re not afraid to ask for it.

I remember writing letters to Santa as a kid & then never getting what I asked & being severely disappointed. Though now, as I parent I understand why “Santa” didn’t always deliver on my wishes. I’m pretty sure, like my parents, I won’t be able to fulfill this lengthy & specific wish list.

Like candy cane milkshakes.

Recently, I’ve been struck with the memory of going through the McDonald’s drive-thru with my family, on a cold & dark December night as a kid, & getting a peppermint milkshake & french fries.

So the other day, I decided, why not recreate the milkshake from my childhood?

And since I have an amazing blender (you know I can’t stop talking about my Blendtec–which by the way, if you have don’t have one, you should seriously consider getting one–especially since right now, you can get $100 off a certified refurbished blender), I can make the smoothest, creamiest milkshake in a snap.

{Looking for another festive-y milkshake? Try my pumpkin pie milkshake.}

vegan candy cane milkshake

Yield: 6 servings

Serving Size: 1 1/3 cups

Calories per serving: 188

Fat per serving: 10 g

vegan candy cane milkshake

vegan, soy-free thick & creamy candy cane milkshake

Ingredients

• 1, 15 oz. full fat, unsweetened coconut milk (I like Thai Kitchen)
  • 6-7 c. large ice cubes
  • 4-5 candy canes + more to crush for topping
  • 1/4 c. agave nectar | or 1/3 c. plain ol' sugar
  • 1/2 tsp. mint or peppermint extract
  • 1 tsp. pure vanilla extract

Instructions

1. A few notes: I like my milkshakes so thick you can eat it with a spoon. Since my blender can handle blending a lot of ice, I can make mine thick. If you have a regular blender, I'd recommend reducing ice to 4 cups & reduce mint extract to 1/4 tsp. If you do reduce the ice, the flavor of your milkshake will be a bit stronger & creamier. The reason I use full-fat coconut milk is because you need something that strong (soy or almond milk will not do) because so much ice is used. The fat in the coconut milk keeps it from having that icy texture/flavor, & keeps it creamy.
  2. To make:
  3. Unwrap candy canes & break into chunks.
  4. In a blender, pour milk, then add ice cubes, candy cane chunks, agave, mint & vanilla extracts. Blend on high until creamy & smooth (I did two cycles of the ice cream function on my Blendtec).
  5. For the topping:
  6. In a ziploc bag, place additional candy canes. Using a rolling pin, crush candy canes into small pieces. Sprinkle crushed candy over each serving.

Notes

Additional nutrition info: 23 g carbs, 1.3 g protein, 11 g sugar, 15 mg sodium; WWP: 5 points

♥♥

What do you love about this time of year? Also, if you have kids, what sort of ambitious things are they asking for?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Comments

1. Katrina
    on December 8, 2013 at 4:40 pm said:

Made this afternoon for a snack and we all LOVED it!! Amazing! Still have 8 candy canes left so I’m looking forward to making some more! Thanks!!

• on December 9, 2013 at 1:21 pm said:

Oh, I’m so glad! ox

2. Pingback: Link Love | Labels Are For Tin Cans

3. on December 4, 2013 at 11:34 pm said:

I remember those McDonald’s milkshakes! I think the green one for St. Patrick’s Day was my favorite. Yum, food coloring :) This one looks fabulous – I love using coconut milk!

• on December 5, 2013 at 6:54 am said:

I loved the St. Patty’s shake too! I actually have a shamrock shake on the blog, that is similar to the candy cane shake in that I use coconut milk as well. I agree–I love coconut milk! The coconut is so versital–one of nature’s best gifts :)

4. Kelly
    on December 4, 2013 at 8:21 pm said:

My 8yo likes to be goofy and wrote coal on his list.

5. on December 4, 2013 at 5:09 pm said:

That is certainly an ambitious list! Reminds me of my letters to Father Christmas when I was little- except mine were pages long!
    My nephews and niece love lego too though I was amazed at all the different pieces they have these days. I’m sure we just had the blocks and maybe a few people.

I haven’t had a “real deal” milkshake like this in forever but it looks so so good!

6. Dana
    on December 4, 2013 at 11:29 am said:

Love the list! Sooo cute. My 8 year old wants to come have a play date with your guys- he’d swoon at all those legos!!. Lego goblets, carrots and popsicles??? I must be shopping in the wrong places! :) Why am I now envisioning little Lego men cavorting about with goblets of mead and big carrot stem sandwiches? Too funny. I ran across my oldest’s list from a few years ago when all he asked for was “Whissols” and “Nut Krackirs”. Those were the days… I’m not sure I have enough paper in the house for his dream list now. Trying to keep it about Jesus’ BD, but it sure is hard with all the media hype (and we don’t even watch tv) and the chatter of their buddies.

The milk shake looks yummy! It’s going on my treat list for the boys soon. Maybe with some home baked “fries” on the side. Thanks for sharing. I’m not sure where you are getting your energy to post, oversee the home/kiddos, get ready for Christmas and everything else you are into in your slightly preg state. You inspire me! But, DO take time to rest a bit, please! xoxox

• on December 6, 2013 at 10:52 am said:

“Lego goblets, carrots and popsicles???”
      You will NOT believe the kind of Legos they have these days. Pretty much everything from Star Wars, to Harry Potter & everything in between. They even now have Legos that are “for girls”!

“Trying to keep it about Jesus’ BD, but it sure is hard with all the media hype (and we don’t even watch tv) and the chatter of their buddies.”
      Yes, I know, it is hard. Which is why, as a part of our nightly ritual we take some time to talk about Jesus, his life & birth.

“But, DO take time to rest a bit, please! xoxox”
      I took an extra long nap yesterday just for you :). Thanks for always looking out for me. You’re so sweet.

7. on December 4, 2013 at 9:36 am said:

I laughed out loud at the Christmas list! Too funny & cute. Can’t wait to try the shake…and maybe put a Blendtec on my Christmas list :)

8. Molly
    on December 4, 2013 at 8:59 am said:

This looks so great, and perfectly festive. Since I moved from Arizona to Boston earlier this year, I’ve been in kind of a funk. It’s difficult to be in a new city, especially during the holidays, with only a small arsenal of friends and no family. Little things like this milkshake seem like the perfect remedy :) I also recently moved into a new apartment which came equipped with a Vitamix, and I have hardly taken advantage of it. This milkshake will happen soon!

9. Joya
    on December 4, 2013 at 8:46 am said:

“But whatever failings I may have as a parent, I make up for with delicious food.” – I love this!! And I share in this strategy:0)

This looks really good! I may have to put some of our candy canes to good use..