{MM} 10.14.2013 marvelous mondays: is coconut water worth the expense? + the list of loves

be the good quote image & DIY project from blooming homestead

Happy Columbus Day.
(whatever that means)

Thanks to everyone who gave suggestions on facebook for movie night. Lots on our list of things to watch now. In the end, we decided on Gladiator (we watched via clearplay, which I highly recommend). We’ve already seen it before, but it’s a fave for both Joseph & me. Epic story, beautiful score, tragic/heroic story, brilliant acting (love Russel Crowe & that Joaquin Phoenix is just pure evil).

Also, lots of good discussion going on, on the blog & on fb last week. Especially about how the Costco board of directors has been overtaken by vegans & health nuts (at least that’s my biased, unfounded theory)–yes!–although they still have those ginormous deliciously addictive muffins with the crumbly stuff on top that I used to love (…). I do have a question though, about coconut water. I bought some because there was a coupon for it (total impulse buy), & after a few of your comments on fb & listening to my better judgement (ie. Joseph’s disbelief that I actually bought it–he said “I need to go with you whenever you go shopping at Costco…” hint taken, honey), I’ve 95% convinced myself to return it. I just can’t justify the expense.

But, what do you think–do you drink coconut water? If so, plain, in smoothies, after a workout? Like or no like?

Now, onto the list of ♥’s:

♥ these couples costumes (especially the “Moonrise Kingdom” couple–I guess you’d only “get it” if you’ve watched the movie, but supercute.)

♥ I’m into using brown postal paper for gift wrap these days (in fact, I used some this weekend at a baby shower & I dressed it up with these free printable gift tags). Here’s one easy way to dress up postal paper with post-it notes. Yes, post-it notes.

this creative way of filling a sandwich–simple & looks delicious

♥ pinterest finds…
love this idea: caramel apple cinnamon rolls
this really unconventional take on cake

♥ Now’s the time to start planning for the holiday season.
Pinned to my holiday board: I’m saving up all our used toilet paper rolls to make this Christmas advent calender–I love upcycling!

E.F.M. (especially for moms)

♥ a brilliant way to respond to “bored” kids

♥ these thoughts on the “little pockets of joy” found in being a parent, a mother

a male perspective on women who “stay at home”

a beautiful snippet into the life of a mom (aren’t the photos amazing?)

thoughts on the post-partum body

to pin:
all recipes vegan + gluten-free

homemade mango fruit roll-ups
(only one ingredient & no dehydrator necessary)

chocolate chip cherry granola bars

savory pumpkin hummus

lime black bean & quinoa salad

cream of broccoli soup

Thanksgiving recipes for every course

my 10 fave autumn recipes

Thank you for taking the time to send a supportive email, a note on fb, or a comment on the blog about my free ebook.

If you haven’t gotten yours, get it here.

signature

Thanks for coming to bring joy today!
Did you know I’m also on twitterpinterest, & facebook?

You can follow the blog via feedly or subscribe via your fave blog reader.
Have a question for me, or just want to say hello,
send me an email.

Comments

on October 15, 2013 at 6:51 pm said:

Love the postpartum one as i am working on closing a diastasis and it is slow-going. I think some things might not get more “normal” again until i’m done nursing….learning to be patient, and also to accept some things will never be the same…

Loved the pockets of joy one too. Being a mom is amazing.

thanks for sharing, as always 🙂

2. dani
    on October 15, 2013 at 11:27 am said:

Janae, you might like this post I read yesterday from a mama friend http://wiseandgloriouspurpose.blogspot.com/2013/10/christopher-columbus-thought-native.html I thought it was great.

Oh I really love coconut water in smoothies, my favorite. It makes it taste so fresh. But, it is definately a splurge!!

on October 15, 2013 at 11:53 am said:

Dani, thanks for that link! I’m going to share what I learned with my kids. You were sweet to take the time to share it with me.

Yes, coconut water is splurge! A splurge that in all honesty we probably shouldn’t have right now as we’re still paying off debt. Definitely not essential. I love fresh Thai coconuts–a little treat I haven’t had in awhile.

3. Emma
    on October 15, 2013 at 7:53 am said:

So much to check out here! Thanks for sharing.
    Love the Moonrise Kingdom couple costumes! Such a good film 🙂

on October 15, 2013 at 8:03 am said:

I know, Moonrise Kingdom is a delightfully quirky movie–Joseph & I loved it.

4. Gabby @ the veggie nook
    on October 14, 2013 at 12:49 pm said:

Thanks for featuring my hummus Joy! I’m loving the other links too- those caramel apple cinnamon rolls omg, look so good!

I really like coconut water and do think it is good for you. But because of the cost, it is a once in a while thing for me. I just drink it on it’s own since I love it so much! If I’m feeling dehydrated from “indulging” a little too much I will drink some too, really hep rehydrate 😉

• Gabby @ the veggie nook
      on October 14, 2013 at 12:49 pm said:

Bahaha and I just typed joy instead of Janae- I’m the worst!! Sorry lady!

on October 14, 2013 at 3:45 pm said:

Do you have a favorite brand of coconut water?

5. Laurie
    on October 14, 2013 at 10:21 am said:

First, I want to say I got your free ebook on Saturday and made the classic hummus Sunday night. The recipe was easy to follow and came out great. (So long, Storebought Hummus!) I’m eager to make more of the recipes.

As for coconut water, it’s an every-so-often treat for me. It’s kind of expensive, but since it has some vitamins and minerals, I don’t feel too bad drinking it once in a while. When I do have some on hand, I both drink it plain and use it in smoothies in place of nut milk.

on October 14, 2013 at 10:38 am said:

I’m glad you made the hummus! The funny thing is, there are soooo many recipes for hummus out there, but it’s hard to find just a basic, no frills hummus. And yes, cheaper & better than storebought for not much work.

So I take it you *like* coconut water? You’re not just drinking for purported health benefits? Because I’ve had a few readers comment they don’t like the taste.

• Laurie
        on October 14, 2013 at 11:46 am said:

Yes, I do ‘like’ coconut water. (It never occurred to me until now that there was anything ‘not’ to like about the taste!) I like both the kind-of-coconut-y-but-not-overwhelmingly-so taste and the texture…if a liquid can truly have a texture. I happened to tell my dad–who is fascinated by veganism and always wants to know what I’m eating–about coconut water around Father’s Day. I tried to describe the texture to him over the phone, and his response was, “It sounds like ‘slippery water.\'” And that’s how it feels: slippery.

Although coconut water isn’t completely empty calories, if I didn’t actually like the taste of it, I wouldn’t drink it and would eat more vegan ice cream instead! 😉

on October 14, 2013 at 11:58 am said:

It does have a “slippery” texture doesn’t it!

“Although coconut water isn’t completely empty calories, if I didn’t actually like the taste of it, I wouldn’t drink it and would eat more vegan ice cream instead! ;-)”
          Good for you! Life is too short, & there are way too many yummy, healthy foods to eat a particular food just because “it’s good for you.”