Stepping away, for awhile

family-pic-2

Dear reader,

I’m not sure how to say this, but I’ve realized in the past few months that I’m no longer the person I used to be.

I think I’m an adult now.

Like, really an adult. Which means, a lot of responsibility.

As we are preparing to bring a sixth child into our family–due in the spring–& as I watch my older kids get, well older, I’m reminded yet again that life is short. My priorities are different now than what they were even a few years ago.

The last few years as a family we’ve tried to focus on greater simplicity, so that we could focus on what matters most. We’ve downsized, we re-prioritized, we’ve cut things from our schedules, while adding others that really reflect our values.

This shift has caused me to reflect on how I spend my time & how those allocations of time reflect on my priorities.

This blog is almost 8 years old.

(My first post!)

I’ve written over 700 posts & shared recipes as well as deeply personal struggles with body image, weight loss, pregnancy, our debt, marriage, & mothering, among other things.

I have invested huge amounts of time (& money) into sharing–sharing with the hopes of bringing some light & hope into the world, one reader, one blog post at a time. That investment hasn’t exactly made me rich by any stretch (was never intended to), but I have learned a lot from the process of sharing & interacting with some amazing people.

That said, it’s time for a real break.

I’m not exactly creatively burned out. I have stacks of ideas for recipes, posts, series to do, & books to write–I just feel the need to retract for a bit. To be private, to focus on other things without worrying about sharing the details of my life, for now.

Another important issue is: I’ve grown particularly wary of sharing anything about my kids. As they get older, I am recognizing, to a greater degree than ever before, their own person-hood, their individuality, & their right to privacy. When they were smaller it was easier to share things about our family life, but now I see it as an intrusion of their privacy to share even basic details of their lives.

In short, I need to step away from the blog for awhile.

This is not an exactly, “I’m deleting my blog” post, but more like–“hey, I’ve got other things going on right now” post.

Though to be clear, even I don’t know exactly what this means. Maybe I’m done with blogging forever, maybe just for a few months, maybe for a year.

I will keep the site available at least through the end of 2017, & who knows, I may occasionally post as my time & energy warrants & perhaps return to more regular blogging at some point in the future.

Right now though, I simply don’t have the capacity to devote the kind of time & energy into creating meaningful blog posts on a regular basis while ALSO dedicating myself fully to my role as a military spouse & mother.

Times & seasons.

My time & season for fully devoting myself to nurturing my growing family is in full swing. I don’t want to let this opportunity to be a really present & excellent mother pass me up, particularly when I have a captive audience who really needs me to be there 100%.

Please stay in touch, & thank you for all your kind words of support & love over the years.

signature

Comments

1. Carl
    on January 20, 2017 at 2:41 am said:

Enjoy your break Janae. It has been good to discuss issues around being vegan as a member of the Mormon church, which are so often overlooked.

Thank you for shedding light on a dark corner of the faith.

Bless you and yours
    Carl

2. Kate
    on December 26, 2016 at 7:47 am said:

I have really enjoyed reading about you, your life and family, so thank you for sharing what you have. We have totally different backgrounds and circumstances and I have found it so interesting to have a little window into a completely different life. In very late reply to an earlier post you did about best books for kids, I was surprised not to see Julia Donaldson on your list. Maybe that’s something to try with baby number 6? My kids have loved all her books. Best of luck with the waddling stage of pregnancy and best wishes for a safe delivery and joyful family life.

3. April
    on December 20, 2016 at 3:39 pm said:

I will miss you! I feel like you are a friend…best wishes and many blessings to you!

4. Katie
    on November 20, 2016 at 10:08 pm said:

I’m going to miss you! I know it must have been a hard decision and I respect you for it. You are amazing. I hope I get to meet #6 and see where your family ends up. Good luck to you – you are such a great example to women everywhere.

5. Anna-Lena Stöwhase
    on November 20, 2016 at 12:51 pm said:

Hi Janae,
    I can definitely understand why you decided to quit your blog. Family is always the most important thing in life. By the way, I don’t know how you found time for your blog with five kids. But your decision made me a little sad, as you’ve been a part of my life for the last five years. I’ve never found another blog as interesting as yours.
    Maybe you could share a short life update from time to time, that would be great.
    Do you know how long you will stay in Japan and where you wiIl go next?
    If you come to Germany one day, please let me know.
    I wish you all the best for you and your family, and thank you for your exellent work.
    I will miss you, Anna-Lena

6. Dana
    on November 20, 2016 at 6:17 am said:

Good for you, Janae!! I will miss your thoughtful posts, the fantastic photos of your beautiful family, the super recipes, and ALL that you have shared over the years. I am so happy that you are making a decision that is best for you and your family. Enjoy this time. I will be praying for a healthy new arrival come spring and the best always for you and your family.

7. Joanne scantlebury
    on November 20, 2016 at 4:14 am said:

I,m going to miss you. It I totally get it. Enjoy your children your husband and your life, and maybe in the future, who knows you may be back.

God bless❤️❤️❤️

8. Lfwfv
    on November 19, 2016 at 9:56 pm said:

I will miss reading posts from you, but I get it and support you 🙂 would love a pic of baby on Facebook when they arrive xo

9. Joya
    on November 19, 2016 at 9:35 am said:

I appreciate all you have done with your blog. I believe you have touched and encouraged a lot of people, myself included. You are a beautiful person and have a beautiful family to take care of. I completely agree with your decision, though you will definitely be missed!! Praying for you and your family wherever your journey takes you. And Congratulations on your newest blessing, my friend.
    Love from the South-
    Joya

10. Kristi
    on November 19, 2016 at 7:58 am said:

Janae,
    I’m so thankful I found you and have had the time to read your posts and learn about your life and ideals. Thank you thank you thank you for sharing. You’re an amazing person.
    For everything there is a season, and this season has ended. I have and will miss you, but completely understand. Love you you and your family!
    Maybe just one tiny photo on Facebook in the spring when the baby comes??? 🙂