cinnamon toast smoothie + blending recipes {the Vibrant Life cookbook}

detoxing your body

Have you ever been a rut, & didn’t realize it until you read or saw something amazing?

Well, I’ve been in a rut. A smoothie rut.

I didn’t realize I was in a smoothie rut until my friend Leanne sent me an advanced copy of her new Vibrant Life Cleanse Cookbook, which is the ultimate guide to detoxing your body, showing you step-by-step how to do a cleanse.

I’m the kind of person that, though I love trying new recipes, but if I find one that I like, I do it over, & over, & over again.

Which is why in my ebook, I only share two smoothie recipes. It’s not that I don’t ever make any other kinds, it’s just, those are the tried & true smoothies that I like & make all the time. Which is fine, right?

But, as I perused Leanne’s 161 page cookbook, full of bright photos & over 55 (amazing) recipes for vibrant & colorful smoothies & juices, {all geared towards detoxing your body}, I thought, wow. There’s definitely more to this world than just my classic “very-green” hemp smoothie.

Sure, I’ve got my old stand-bys (my hempy “orange julius” & my orange carrot celery pm pick-me-up) but, it’s nothing compared to what Leanne’s got to offer.

Her cookbook is inspiring, thorough, & just lovely. It has motivated me to get more creative in my smoothie making & I’m so excited to try out all of her recipe because I know they’ll all be refreshing, interesting & delicious blends of foods I should be eating more of every day.

detoxing your body

In her Vibrant Cleanse cookbook, she shares over 55 recipes, all geared towards detoxing your body:

♥ 7 green smoothie recipes–
like crazy monkey, C punch, & peach cheeks

♥ 5 water-based smoothie recipes–
like coco cabana & bubble berry float

♥ 9 juice-based smoothie recipes–
like tall & pink, spiced apple, & raspberry bulk

♥ 8 dessert smoothie recipes (these are the ones I’m *most* excited to try!)–
like butterscotch, berry waffle cone (oh my.), banana praline, carrot cake, & dark chocolate fudge

♥ 8 cleansing juice recipes–
like power trip, lime light, & mojito moss

♥ 6 boosting juice recipes–
like sangria sunset, puckered beet, & all blushed-up

♥ 6 purifying juice recipes–
like lemon custard & natural bug killer

♥ 4 energizing tonic recipes–
like zing bulb

♥ &, 6 nourishing milk recipes–
like creamscicle hemp, maple sunflower seed, & pumpkin seed spice

I’m the first to admit, though I have been doing the plant-based thing for nearly 8 years now, I don’t know much about cleansing. True, I love smoothies, shakes, blends–whatever you want to call it–because they’re super easy to make & when you’re a busy mama like me, you need foods you can make in a snap, & nutrient-dense smoothies & juices like these fit the bill. BUT, I’m not the person to turn to when it comes to cleansing info. Leanne is. She’s a holistic nutritionist with a radiant & positive outlook that is absolutely contagious.

Sample Recipe

I tried a raw foods cleanse a few years back, but since I’ve been either pregnant or nursing, I haven’t really been in a position to do a full-on cleanse. But, that doesn’t mean I can’t enjoy the goodness of all of these cleansing & energizing smoothies & juices, every day.

And I should say, I no longer own a juicer. I got rid of my Champion juicer (sold it on ebay) when I realized all I really needed was a Blendtec.

My Blendtec makes juices with the fiber included, which I prefer. But the nice thing is, Leanne explains how to make all of her recipes without a juicer.

So, no juicer, no problem.

(I really, really think you should consider a Blendtec if you don’t have one–a juicer & blender in one & it has a 7 year warranty–I’ve had mine for almost 6 years now!)

Leanne knows what she’s talking about. I’ve followed her blog for several years now & have always been impressed with her impeccable, detailed recipes that are always a hit at our house (she has so many delicious variations on granola bars & easy blending recipes, like her creamy tomato soup).

This cookbook is a beautiful compilation of everything you need to begin consuming more juices & smoothies–or in other words, to add more nutritional oomph to your diet.

Leanne includes a meal plans, a shopping list, as well as programs for 3, 7, 9, & 11 day cleanses.

So if you’ve ever been curious on how to do a cleanse, want to learn more about detoxing your body, or just want to add more fruits & veggies to your diet, this book is for you!

Here’s a recipe I’ve tried out already that is spectacular.

It’s one of her dessert smoothies.

cinnamon toast smoothie

cinnamon toast smoothie

a delicous vegan smoothie, free from refined sugars

Ingredients

• 1 c. non-dairy milk
  • 10 raw almonds
  • 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
  • 4 medjool dates, pitted
  • 1 tsp. coconut oil
  • 2 ice cubes

Instructions

1. Add all ingredients to the jug of your high powered blender in the order listed.
  2. Blend on high for one minute, or until smooth.
  3. Pour into glass & drink immediately, or store in sealed glass container for 1-2 days.

To get 55+ more recipes like this, plus all the info you need to begin living more vibrantly,

blending recipes

♥♥

Do you juice or blend, or both? How often? And, I’d like to know how many bring joy readers own a juicer &/or a high-powered blender (like a Blendtec).

FYI: This post contains affiliate links. You know I only promote those things I can only 100% endorse. You purchase anything via these links, I earn a commission. Thanks for supporting bring joy!

BRING JOY TO YOUR INBOX.

Get my regular updates--a roundup of extra tips & recipes for bringing more joy to living that I don't share on the blog. A list of my most recent posts so you're always up to date + other good stuff, like special savings on bring joy ebooks & products.* (It's 100% awesome, 100% FREE.)

*This is not the same as receiving my blog posts by email. These updates are full of exclusive, not-on-the-blog content.

Comments

1. Katie Lorsch
    on March 27, 2014 at 9:49 pm said:

I’m really excited about this book and think it is probably something that I actually need, not necessarily want. I have fallen off the “whole foods” wagon and at my current place in life, the idea of searching through recipes that I hope I will like is a little overwhelming. Making smoothies, however, would be so much easier and I’d know I’m getting the good stuff without spending a bunch of time on it.

My question, are the majority of recipes smoothies or juices?

on March 27, 2014 at 9:58 pm said:

Hi Katie,

“the idea of searching through recipes that I hope I will like is a little overwhelming.”
      Yes, it is. Which is why having an tried & tested compilation takes all the work out of it! And Leanne’s recipes are the BEST. She is the queen of cleansing & smoothie/juice making.

In regards to your question. There’s a mix of both smoothies & juices.

BUT, you can make all of them with a blender. I don’t own a juicer anymore myself. Leanne explains how to make them without a juicer, which is part of the reason I love this book so much. Flexibility.

“think it is probably something that I actually need, not necessarily want. I have fallen off the “whole foods” wagon”
      If you use it, it will absolutely help you to get back on track. I love how she outlines everything you need to know & makes the cleansing process so simple & straightforward. For now, since I’m nursing, I’m just trying to do one or two of her smoothies per day (though currently I’m waiting for a new Blendtec jar to be sent to me, so I haven’t made a smoothie in over a day–boo.) rather than doing a full on cleanse for now. Either way, there are a lot of benefits! And I think it will help realign your taste buds, & as you say, help you get “back on the wagon.”

Hope that helps!

2. Joya
    on March 27, 2014 at 11:26 am said:

That smoothie looks soooo good! I make alot of smoothies. I do have a juicer (it’s very very old and it works like a dream) but I’m a little lazy about hauling it out of the cabinet and it’s faster to make smoothies. My boys have a smoothie pretty much every day and I know my picky 9 year old is getting his greens that way;0)
    I really would love to get a vita mix or a blend tec, I’ve heard great things about both. I would like to mill my own flour as well.

on March 27, 2014 at 11:57 am said:

Joya! I can’t believe you don’t have a Blendtec or Vita-mix. You of all people, I thought you’d have one for sure. It makes making your own nut butter, flours, smoothie/juices *so* much easier.

They are pricey, but you can get a reconditioned Blendtec for less than $300. I’ve had my Blendtec for nearly 6 years now & use it more than I do the stove or oven!

“My boys have a smoothie pretty much every day and I know my picky 9 year old is getting his greens that way;0)”
      I know, that’s my fave thing about smoothies–you can “sneak” lots of good stuff in there. But I have to be careful about not getting carried away. It has to taste good, otherwise my kids won’t touch it.

And, I’m lazy too, which is why I rarely ever used my juicer. Too much clean up for me! Plus, I like having the fiber in my juices. But you can make some pretty great “ice cream” with frozen bananas (at least with the Champion, using the blank plate).

• Joya
        on March 27, 2014 at 1:21 pm said:

Haha – I know! I need one! I think it’s in my near future;0)

• Theresa
          on March 28, 2014 at 12:42 am said:

AND I grind my grains in my Blendtec as well, so again, all-in-one machine!

3. April
    on March 26, 2014 at 3:15 pm said:

I own a juicer and a standard kitchen aid blender. I think my blender does a good job and a rarely use the juicer. Although now you’ve whet my appetite to think about a blendtec….

on March 26, 2014 at 3:31 pm said:

A Blendtec will change your life! I couldn’t live without mine….

In fact, the jar broke yesterday, & so I didn’t have it today (hopefully will have the new one by tomorrow!) & I’m going through withdrawals. It’s the only way I can make sure I’m getting enough nutrition while nursing (& losing weight) b/c I don’t often have the time to cook a meal, but I always have time to make a smoothie (which takes all of 2 minutes).

When I first went vegan we burned through so many cheap blenders & Joseph was like…buy the blender, just buy the expensive blender :) Hasn’t been an issue since!

4. Laurie
    on March 26, 2014 at 2:58 pm said:

I’m excited about trying this smoothie and about the Vibrant Life book!

I own both a juicer and a blender. I blend up a smoothie almost every morning. Since I got my juicer in the fall, I’ve gone through a couple of cycles of juicing a fair amount then not juicing at all. I’m on the cusp of juicing more again.

When the motor on my plain old blender FINALLY burned out–yes, I was trying to overtax it because I hated it SO MUCH–I was ‘this’ close to buying either a Vitamix or a Blendtec, but I cheaped out and bought a Breville, which is still the most I’ve ever spent on a blender. When it finally gives out–yes, I’m trying, but it’s a pretty nice blender–I’ll spend the extra because I know it will be worth it.

on March 27, 2014 at 10:01 pm said:

“When it finally gives out–yes, I’m trying, but it’s a pretty nice blender–I’ll spend the extra because I know it will be worth it.”
      Yes! Do it. And then you won’t have to worry about buying a new blender for 7-10 years :) And, in the meantime you’ll be able to make all sorts of crazy delicious, very smooth blends. The Blendtec (& the Vitamix, though you know I’m partial to the Blendtec) blends like nothing you’ve ever seen before! It’s amazing.

5. Katrina
    on March 26, 2014 at 11:58 am said:

Yum! Can’t wait to try this! Ugh, I don’t have room for more cookbooks since I got the OSGs one though! I’m loving my Blendtec but need to call them about my lid. The center clear plastic part is too loose I think. Last night, it fell into the smoothie in my blender as I was taking the top off! The lid is the only think I liked better about my Vitamix. I do own a juicer but don’t use it often. The clean up is mostly what deters me. I just don’t have time! And my kids didn’t love the juices I made and I didn’t want to drink it all myself….so anyway, maybe I should get rid of it!

on March 26, 2014 at 12:04 pm said:

You’ll have to tell me you like Angela’s book. (I’m sure you’re going to love it.)

Sorry about your Blendtec debacle. Their customer service is awesome–they’ll ship you whatever you need right away.

I feel the same about juicing–a lot more work & I like the fiber in my juice. I realized I was only using my juicer to make banana ice cream, so I sold it on ebay. But nice thing is, Champion juicers (like Blendtecs & Vitamix’s) don’t depreciate much in value so I sold it for about what I had paid for it!