{MM} It’s a new year. (& I’m not in labor yet.)

hiking new years day 2

Happy New Year.

Today’s {MM} is a bit different than my usual format of sharing good finds from across the web.

Since I took the past 2 1/2 weeks off from any online activity in which I didn’t read blogs, think about blogging, tweet, pin, or facebook, I don’t have much to share by way of links. Instead, I’ll share what I’ve been up to.

During my hiatus I:

1) Slept a lot, napped even more.
Oh boy was that nice. Just trying to take advantage of sleep before the newborn arrives.

2) Played games with the kids.
Two fun ones–Wits & Wagers & kid charades.

3) Read more than I have in a long while.
Which according to the NY Times, nobody is reading novels anymore. To prove them wrong, here’s my current list.

Currently reading:
♦ John Grisham’s Sycamore Row–a contested will legal battle was never so thrilling (also loved his recent interview with Diane Rehm). Joseph & I are in a race to see who can finish it first.
♦ The Four Loves by C.S. Lewis–most of what he says goes over my head the first time (or second, even third time), but I like reading his work because it challenges my mind/heart/spirit to think deeper, go beyond what I know.
♦ Things Fall Apart, by Chinua Achebe–sometimes you just have to read about polygamist African tribal cultures to really appreciate life in a post-feminist revolution, post-civil rights era world.

4) Enjoyed lots of extra time with Joseph, who had a good chunk of time off during the holidays.
We went on some fun dates, including going to the theater & watching The Hobbit (adore Martin Freeman as Bilbo) & The Butler (did you know Forest Whitaker is vegetarian?).

5) Kid’s got their fill of Christmas movies, including one of our faves, Home Alone.

watching movies 3

6) Went on several outings, including some hiking on New Year’s day (which for you northern folks, you go hiking in the winter, not summer, if you live in Texas) around a state park that is just up the road from us.

hiking

7) Got some Christmas surprises including a tea kettle from Joseph, & some small diamond earrings–let’s just say that was a total surprise! For my part, I surprised Joseph with a nice dress jacket, which incidentally, I got for free from Kohl’s. The story is, I had ordered some stuff online for the kids, & with that shipment came this brand new, $150 jacket. Turns out, if a company accidentally ships something to you that you didn’t order, it’s yours to keep. So cool, right?

christmas  morning 2

8) Another fun Christmas surprise–the boys were playing in a dirt pile next to our house, digging through dirt & rocks & uncovered a $20 bill!

9) Did quite a bit of “nesting”–you know, cleaning, organizing, re-organizing, catching up on anything/everything I can think of before baby. This included a $900 shopping trip to Costco (we’re set on toilet paper, batteries, paper plates, & diced tomatoes for the next 6 months), buying some needed baby items on Craigslist (got a double jogging stroller, a car seat & matching stroller, and a baby bouncer for $90), & washing all the baby’s clothes & blankets. We’re ready.

Speaking of which, I’m feeling very pregnant. And can I say, FAT.

Having gestational diabetes has not been easy, in fact, I’m getting pretty fed up with it & the fact that I’ve gained so much weight over this pregnancy I want to cry. I’m all about living in the present (or attempting to), but I confess I look forward to the end of this particular period. One thing that cheers me up is knowing I’ll be running, biking, & doing all the other things I love soon enough & that combined with some attention to my diet in addition to breast feeding, I’ll be back to my old self in no time. In the interim, however, I feel like a waddling, over-stuffed duck. (Though it is fun to watch my stomach move in waves as the baby does somersaults–which as luck would have it, is mostly at night.)

I’m due next week, & I’m not sure when this baby will come.

My doctors are recommending induction at 39 weeks (which is this Friday) because of the gestational diabetes & the fact that despite carefully managing my diet & adding a nightly medication, my blood sugars have become increasingly difficult to manage.  Though I have been having intermittent, inconsistent contractions, which is something that happened with my last two pregnancies, several weeks before I actually went into labor.

I guess I say this because I’m not sure what blogging will look like this month, or the next.

I thought about having friends guest post while I take some time off, but then figured, hey, the reason I love blogging so much is that it’s real (or should be). For me, that means it’s a reflection of real life. My reality is that I’m about to have a baby & when I do, I have no idea how that will affect my day to day. I may only find time to blog once or twice a week, and that’s okay, because that’s my reality right now.

Anyway, hope your holidays were spectacular. It’s going to be a fab year folks.

signature

P.S. Totally honored to be featured as a part of MJ’s 12 days of blogger’s Christmas series–check it out, lots of inspiring ladies.

Thanks for coming to bring joy today!
Did you know I’m also on twitterpinterest, & facebook?

You can follow the blog via feedly or subscribe via your fave blog reader.
Have a question for me, or just want to say hello,
send me an email.

BRING JOY TO YOUR INBOX.

Get my regular updates--a roundup of extra tips & recipes for bringing more joy to living that I don't share on the blog. A list of my most recent posts so you're always up to date + other good stuff, like special savings on bring joy ebooks & products.* (It's 100% awesome, 100% FREE.)

*This is not the same as receiving my blog posts by email. These updates are full of exclusive, not-on-the-blog content.

Comments

1. Kelli
    on January 7, 2014 at 12:27 am said:

Good luck, Janae ~ it sounds like you are ready and in the perfect place to have this baby. I’m glad you had some down time before you’re going nonstop… or even more nonstop than you usually do!

and it will be wonderful for whatever you’re feeling to share in the upcoming weeks and months. Can’t wait to see the new little one. And the weight loss stuff is perfect. I know I (and probably others!) have some of that to do, and it will be great to work on it along with you. Community is the way to go! xx

on January 7, 2014 at 4:26 pm said:

“I know I (and probably others!) have some of that to do.”
      Well starting about March 1st, or thereabouts, I’m getting on that wagon & getting back in shape, losing the baby weight, & it’s going to be awesome. This time, it goes way beyond the aesthetic–it’s for my health. Having gestational diabetes has put me in the higher risk category for developing diabetes later in life–exercise & getting back to my pre-pregnancy weight, along with attention to diet should help with prevention, & believe me, after a little view into the diabetic world this past month, I want to dodge that bullet if at all possible!

& I agree, community is the way to go. We need each other!

Thanks for all your positive vibes, Kelli.

ox

2. Keri
    on January 6, 2014 at 10:31 pm said:

If it’s any consolation, you’re not completely alone. I’ll be 40 weeks on Saturday & have gained A LOT of weight. I’m nearing 50 lbs, feeling enormously pregnant, have taken up peeing as a full time job, and desperately miss running.

This is our first, so you know better than I do the joy that’s just around the bend. But just in case you need a reminder like I do (every other hour at this point!)–here’s to the joy of a new baby & the bike rides & runs in a not so distant future!

3. Kelly L.
    on January 6, 2014 at 6:34 pm said:

I love New Year’s Day hikes! We live in northern CA and have a family tradition of taking hikes on Christmas & New Year’s Day with our 2 boys.

I am a novel reader and have been enjoying Kate Morton’s books lately (The Forgotten Garden and now The Distant Hours). I also really loved Wallace Stegner’s Crossing to Safety, which is maybe 30 yrs old but the quiet, perceptive insight with which he writes blew me away.

Best of luck with the baby and you diabetes! Thanks for being so real – I so enjoy your blog!

on January 6, 2014 at 7:16 pm said:

Kelly: I always associated hiking with the summer time, as I grew up in Washington state. But this time of year is perfect for spending time outdoors. This year (our first in the south), we went on outdoor expeditions on Thanksgiving, Christmas, & New Years–the weather was absolutely divine.

I’ll have to look into Kate Morton’s stuff–never heard of her but always looking for a new author to try out. Also, since you mentioned Wallace Stegner I know you have good taste! Crossing to Safety is such a quietly moving, poetic book–just love it. I want to read more of his stuff, it’s reminiscent of old-school Western authors like Norman Maclean (who sadly only wrote a few books) & Jim Harrison (Legends of the Fall).

And thank you for your well wishes–I need them! Even though I’ve been through the whole natural birthing thing 4 times, I still have my moments of self-doubt & anxiety. And the diabetes thing, is the pits.

Thank you for reading & taking the time to leave a sweet comment.

ox

4. Laura @ This is Thirty
    on January 6, 2014 at 4:11 pm said:

I finished Sycamore Row over the holiday too – so good! Can’t wait to hear what you think about it when you finish it!

Sounds like a much needed break. Happy New Year and hope everything is going as planned!

on January 6, 2014 at 7:19 pm said:

Isn’t John Grisham a master at storytelling? He captures the south & legal stuff in such an interesting way. I’m about halfway through the book & keep reading, wondering what sort of twists & turns lay ahead. Have you read any of his other stuff? I really loved The Partner.

Thank you for the well wishes–the break was much needed. I think everybody needs to take a break from technology now & again, just to keep things real (especially us bloggers!).

5. MJ
    on January 6, 2014 at 2:03 pm said:

Oh…I feel that weight in your voice…and the ready to have your body back. Sending thoughts of lightness your way. Sounds like your break was a ton of good fun. Thinking of you in the final days… xoxo, MJ

on January 6, 2014 at 7:22 pm said:

Our break was pretty fantastic. I cannot tell you how lovely (& important) it is to get away from technology (ie. the internet, mostly) for periods every now & then. So good for the brain, relationships, & then you come back refreshed with your creativity reignited.

And yes, let’s hope these are the final days :)….

Thanks for your thoughts & love MJ.

6. Ashlee @ Plant Infusions
    on January 6, 2014 at 1:35 pm said:

I am so glad you are back, Janae! I have been looking forward to reading your posts! It’s a little sad how much I totally love your blog. It’s been such a MAJOR blessing to my life, and I am so grateful for you.

And yes, people are still totally reading novels! I LOVE them! I have had that John Grisham book on my wish list for a while now. So excited to hear it’s a good read.

Obviously you are so ready to have your baby…oh you will feel so good once he is born. And you will be so proud of yourself and what your body has worked so hard to create. I can imagine the whole blood sugar thing is getting really old, and very annoying. I think that would be so hard, you are such a trooper, and you are almost there! Go Janae!

I feel like such a dope for asking this question, obviously you have so much to do right now getting ready for your precious baby! But do you have an idea as to when your e-books will be released? I am just on pins and needles and it would just help me to have a date in my mind so I know when to look forward to it.

Love ya, girl! You are amazing! Thanks for sharing your life with us.

-Ash

on January 6, 2014 at 7:31 pm said:

You are soo so sweet.

You should definitely read John Grisham’s latest. He’s one of my top 5 fave contemporary authors. And such a great guy too (you should listen to that interview I linked to, if you’re at all a fan).

“And you will be so proud of yourself and what your body has worked so hard to create.”
      You’re so right. I’m looking forward to that moment, you know, where they place the baby in my arms. That’s a fantastic, wonderfully worth it moment & thinking of that is what’s going to get me through the next little bit.

“I can imagine the whole blood sugar thing is getting really old, and very annoying.”
      You have no idea. I have a whole lot more empathy for folks who have to deal with this permanently. I’d like to expand more on my experiences, perhaps in a later post.

“But do you have an idea as to when your e-books will be released? I am just on pins and needles and it would just help me to have a date in my mind so I know when to look forward to it.”
      I really really appreciate your enthusiasm & interest–seriously, I’ve asked myself, what if I go through all this work & sell like, one ebook? But knowing I have a few readers like you who are interested, makes it worth it. I feel like a flake continuing to push back the release of them, but it’s turned into a much larger project than I ventured for & want them to be perfect.

I’ll be releasing the weight loss one first (funny, because I’ll actually be DOING everything in it in just a short time anyway), hopefully, hopefully this month. It’s nearly done, but there are few finishing touches & not sure if it’ll get done before baby & after I have the baby, it’s going to take a bit to get back into swing of things. We’ll see. I’m motivated to get them done, & knowing that I have your enthusiasm & support to get it finished really helps too.

You’re so awesome for commenting & being so supportive. You’re the best.

ox

(P.S. Are you going to return to blogging any time soon? Would love to see some pics of your newest addition, if you’re so inclined.)