The best of thanksgiving: 10 gluten-free & vegan recipes

best-of-vegan-gluten-free-thanksgiving-recipes-bring-joy

I have a confession.

I may not make Thanksgiving dinner this year.

The thing is, my favorite restaurant in San Antonio (which is 100% vegan and gluten-free) is hosting a Thanksgiving buffet & the price is quite reasonable–kids under 6 even eat free. I took one look at the menu offering for the buffet & thought, oh boy, I really really want to do this. Originally, Joseph wasn’t on board, but the other day he brought it up as something we should do (especially after we totally scored & saved a bunch of money by getting a free meal at PF Changs).

I’m still undecided, but perhaps we’ll still do a Thanksgiving meal the day before & attend the buffet on Thanksgiving. It seems a bit sacrilege for someone like myself to eat restaurant food on a big holiday like Thanksgiving, especially since I so enjoy making meals for special occasions.

But. I’m 7 months pregnant & not quite up to my usual energizer bunny mode. Also, we typically have Thanksgiving with extended family, so it’s a collaborative effort. Not sure if I’m up for preparing the whole schabang by myself this year.

That said, I’ve been brainstorming & pinning my Thanksgiving meal “wish list”.

Here’s my dream Thanksgiving feast from the appetizer down to the dessert.

All recipes are gluten-free, soy-free, & vegan, with many also being grain-free.

A note on pinning etiquette: Feel free to pin the top image (it’s mine) from my site, but for all the recipes below, please click on the recipe name below each image & it will take you to the direct site where you can pin the image & recipe. Thank you, you’re a dear.

Want more inspiration? Check out my autumn or festive foods pinterest boards.

appetizer

thanksgiving stuffed mushrooms stuffed mushrooms — grain-free
from Beth, at Tasty Yummies

salad

thanksgiving brussel sprouts salad shaved brussel sprouts salad with perissimon, pomegrante
from Karen at Honestly Yum

soup

thanksgiving leek & fennel soup leek, fennel, apple + walnut soup with tumeric
from Laura at The First Mess

rolls

thanksgiving gluten-free rolls multi-grain rolls
from Vaishali at Holy Cow!

stuffing

thanksgiving grain free stuffing squash & celeric quinoa stuffing — grain-free
from Amber, at Fettle Vegan

the no-meat meat

thanksgiving wild rice no meat loaf

wild rice no-meat loaf
from Ella, at Purely Ella

gravies

Vegetarian-Gravy-4-Ways-2 gravy, 4 ways (including a gluten-free version)
from Alyssa, at Girl Makes Food

cranberry sauce

cranberry1 apple cider cranberry sauce
from, me!

side of veggies

thanksgiving roasted carrots rosemary roasted carrots
from Kiersten, at Oh My Veggies

dessert

thanksgiving pecan pie

pecan pie — raw, grain-free
from Gena, at Choosing Raw

bonus recipe!

(because in an ideal world, you’d have two desserts to choose from.)

SONY DSC caramel apple crumble torte from Ricki at Ricki Heller

Still need more Thanksgiving inspiration?

Check out:

♥ Dreena’s list –lots of crowd-pleasing breakfast, brunch, appetizers, & dinner ideas
♥ Beth’s awesome roundup of 99 gluten-free dishes (not all are vegan/vegetarian, but all are whole-foods & gluten-free) –check out the drinks!
♥ Ricki’s roundup of healthy & delicious 75+ recipes
♥ Richa’s list of 70 Indian infused Thanksgiving recipes

♥♥

Have you ever eaten at a restaurant on a holiday instead of cooking a holiday meal?

Comments

1. Alanna
    on November 20, 2013 at 10:42 pm said:

I would totally go out to eat for a vegan Thanksgiving feast. In fact, I’ll be checking my city now. 🙂

2. Vaishali
    on November 18, 2013 at 12:56 pm said:

What an inspiring roundup of Thanksgiving recipes, and all of them vegan and gluten-free! All of these are going on my must-make list. Thanks for including my gluten-free rolls. 🙂

3. luminousvegans
    on November 15, 2013 at 5:16 pm said:

Oh my, all these look so good. Can’t I just reach through the screen and have them for Thanksgiving? It’s funny that you mention maybe not cooking Thanksgiving for the first time. We are visiting my sis and we usually make stuff in advance and bring it over…but there are a couple places in Charlotte doing vegan Thanksgiving. So I’m kinda leaning towards trying those out and taking a break. It feels weird considering this option though since my whole blog is about cooking 😛

on November 15, 2013 at 5:21 pm said:

“It feels weird considering this option though since my whole blog is about cooking :-P”
      I totally understand where you’re coming from! Truth be told, I find going to vegan restaurants some of the best inspiration for my cooking, & there’s no beating the variety I will be able to sample at this particular buffet. There’ll be something like 30+ dishes to choose from. Not to mention, as much as I love cooking, sometimes it’s just soooo nice to have someone else do it & have it actually taste good!

4. Laurie
    on November 15, 2013 at 4:38 pm said:

I have eaten at restaurants on holidays a few times, most often on Thanksgiving and usually some sort of buffet. I LOVED it because I could have a little bit of a lot of different things without having to make so many different dishes….and without having to clean up all the dirty dishes! It’s so much less stress and hubbub….But, that was before I became a vegan. I’ll probably cook this year.

5. Kristen
    on November 15, 2013 at 1:07 pm said:

Ooooooo….. WOW! The restaurant Thanksgiving menu looks amazing!! I would go to the restaurant for sure! Thank you for posting your Thanksgiving menu wish list. My two daughters and I are the only vegans among a large extended family of omnivores so your menu is awesome inspiration for a little vegan feast for me and my girls. 🙂 Thanks!

6. Alissa N
    on November 15, 2013 at 12:56 pm said:

Thank you so, so much for featuring my recipe!! 🙂

I have never done a restaurant Thanksgiving, but if we had that restaurant near us I think I might eat there more then I should!! Looks fantastic!! I actually thought that this year we might end up going to a restaurant because I wasn’t sure how things would pan out with family, and I was kind of looking forward to it. I can imagine you still get to have holiday spirit and do something nice and special but without the clean up!

7. Emma
    on November 15, 2013 at 11:48 am said:

I’m amazed you’re actually considering doing the big feast on your own when you’re so heavily pregnant! These hoilday meals can end up being more stress than they’re worth and my family keep talking about going out to eat for Christmas (no Thanksgiving here 🙁 )
    How fantastic do all these recipes look? I’m definitely not missing out just because we don’t celebrate the holiday here!

8. Ricki
    on November 15, 2013 at 10:40 am said:

I say go for the restaurant! As you said, you’re 7 months pregnant, and you deserve a break!! Plus, eating in restaurants is fun. That said, thank you for my entire Thanksgiving menu! Oh, wait, we already celebrated. . . but with this list, I want to do it all again. 😉 Thanks for including my bonus torte! 😀 xo

9. Ashley F.
    on November 15, 2013 at 9:45 am said:

Thank you so much for this roundup! I always do them on my own blog, but I’ve been so busy lately I haven’t had time to put together a proper Thanksgiving menu. I’m actually cooking Thanksgiving dinner at my sister-in-law’s place, which will make things a bit tricky, but I definitely enjoy a challenge. This post gave me tons a great ideas for the big day!

10. Angel Y.
    on November 15, 2013 at 9:41 am said:

I’ve always wanted to sneak off to a restaurant for Thanksgiving, just to see what it’s like. This is my first vegetarian (possibly vegan) Thanksgiving so these recipes couldn’t have come at a better time.