What to do with all that zucchini?

Our current location on our summer road trip, as I mentioned yesterday, is at my sister’s home in Medford, Oregon.

Colette is the oldest of our family of seven.

She’s 13 years older than me, so in many ways, she is like a second mom.

She got married when I was only 7 & she had her daughter when I was 8, so most of my memories of her summers visits to stay with her for a few weeks.

When I was 8 or 10, I rememember staying with her when I went to a volleyball sports camp.  We did a lot of baking together & I made many, often funny mistakes in the kitchen.

On this particular occasion, we decided to make sugar cookies.  I was in charge of measuring ingredients.

After combining ingredients, I tasted the dough, then quickly spit it out.  Salt.  Way too much salt.  Colette held her sugar, salt, baking powder, & baking soda in unlabeled jars.  I had mistaken the salt for sugar.

We laughed about it, threw out the batch, & gave it another go.

Second time around, I repeated the same blunder.  It wasn’t so funny the second time around.  Third time’s a charm, I suppose, because I finally got it figured out & used the proper jar.  Lesson learned.  Label your jars, & don’t confuse salt for sugar (confusing sugar for salt isn’t as detrimental).

Isn’t she pretty?

Love this scarf.

And these shoes.
We’ve spent the past 2 days:
Swimming in their backyard pool.
Watching the Olympics.
Took our kids for a walk this morning & let the kids ride their scooters while we enjoyed sisterly conversation.
Yesterday, Colette’s neighbor dropped off a lot of this:

We grilled some last night (hope to do it again tonight) & I had some with this morning’s breakfast.

After all, you know how I love a good breakfast slaw.

Easy, quick, delicious.

This morning I had two big bowls, of a slightly different variation of the old standby.

Grated zucchini,

& blueberries, homemade grain-free granola, almond milk, sweetened with Truvia.

Have you ever messed up a recipe by confusing ingredients?

Are you experiencing an excess of zucchini right now?  What’s your favorite way to use it?

BRING JOY TO YOUR INBOX.

Get my regular updates--a roundup of extra tips & recipes for bringing more joy to living that I don't share on the blog. A list of my most recent posts so you're always up to date + other good stuff, like special savings on bring joy ebooks & products.* (It's 100% awesome, 100% FREE.)

*This is not the same as receiving my blog posts by email. These updates are full of exclusive, not-on-the-blog content.

Comments

1. Ashley F.
    on August 10, 2012 at 9:43 am said:

Your sister is absolutely lovely!

Speaking of zucchini, my good friend just brought over several of the largest zucchinis I’ve ever seen – they are nearly the size of baseball bats! I have no clue what I’m going to do with all of it.

I love making zucchini chips and zucchini skins, but beyond that I’m not sure what to do with it all. I will definitely have to give your breakfast slaw a try! Perhaps some zucchini muffins or bread as well?

2. Dana
    on August 9, 2012 at 8:27 pm said:

Your sister is lovely- and I especially like the picture of her by the flowering bushes- it makes the colors in her scarf and shoes just pop! Such an eye you have for photography! Funny (or not!) about the salt/sugar mix up. Sounds like you have a pretty patient sister to give it a go a third time. :)

We made some zucchini soup tonight- always a favorite with a creamy cashew base and lots of basil. Yum. We are making a lot of chocolate-zucchini muffins these days too. So moist that even those who still bake with oil would never miss it. Your breakfast slaw looks great; I may need to tweak it and try it for dinner. I can’t seem to budge from my oatmeal routine during the week.

Safe travels! Thanks for sharing your adventures with us!

on August 9, 2012 at 10:39 pm said:

Dana, you are always way too kind to me. Thank you for the compliment. I’m still such a novice with photography, but having a DSLR has greatly improved my confidence.

I have yet to try that delicious recipe from Fat Free Vegan with the creamy cashew base that you recommended–it sounds absolutely wonderful. Hopefully once we return home & I’m back in my own kitchen I can attempt it. Zucchini in baked goods really does add a wonderful moistness, doesn’t it? I know what you mean about the oatmeal routine–my kids have gotten so attached to oatmeal everyday they kinda don’t know what to do when I try & deviate (they never complain though when I make pancakes or waffles).

Thanks for being such a sweetie, your comments always brighten my day.

3. Michelle Draper
    on August 9, 2012 at 8:18 pm said:

Loved your story about your sister and you baking! Such a fun memory! I went to school with your sister and she is a great lady! I look forward to reading more!

Michelle

on August 9, 2012 at 10:45 pm said:

Michelle, thanks for stopping by! Yes, she’s pretty amazing isn’t she?

4. Jess
    on August 9, 2012 at 7:19 pm said:

Oh man! The only ingredients I’ve mixed up were baking powder and baking soda, back in my teens or early twenties when I was a baking novice. Let me tell you, they do not produce the same taste or results.
    Your sister is pretty, indeed. Sounds like you are having fun together. I never thought of eating shredded zucchini for breakfast, and I probably won’t try it – I have a thing against raw zucchini. But the last time I had an excess of zucchini (last week) I shredded it and mixed it with flour and bread crumbs and made hash. It was sooo tasty! It turned out kind of like pancakes, and the kids liked dipping it in ketchup.
    My other favorite is zucchini bread, naturally. When I was a kid we had a huge garden and my mom made zucchini bread and butter pickles, and zucchini bread. Mmmm, good memories.

on August 9, 2012 at 11:10 pm said:

Jess, what a mix-up! Almost as bad as switching salt for sugar :)

What’s your problem with raw zucchini? When it’s shredded & mixed up with other stuff, I think it’s great. But I guess I’m weird like that.

A zucchini hash–what a great idea. What a great mom you have to make homemade zucchini bread & pickles!

• Jess
        on August 10, 2012 at 10:10 am said:

The problem with raw zucchini is just that I had to eat a lot of it as a child, and I never enjoyed it. My mom finally realized I truly didn’t like it, and she asked me to come up with a way I could eat it. So I used a spiral slicer (know what I’m talking about?) and sliced it into ribbons, then sauteed with butter and salt and pepper. Cooking at age 6, not bad!