GF: Oatmeal Breakfast Bar

I’m taking a break from sharing moments from this summer’s road trip to do another Going Gluten-Free installment.

Oats are naturally gluten-free, but if you are Celiac, you probably already know that you’ll need to buy certified gluten-free oatmeal, which is oatmeal that has been processed in a gluten-free facility & has not been contaminated.

If oats are processed in a facility that also processes wheat, or other gluten-containing grains, the oats can become contaminated with gluten, thus making them unsuitable for those with Celiac disease.

Bob’s has a great line of certified GF oatmeal.  Since I’m not Celiac, just avoiding gluten, I don’t have a problem eating regular oats.  Oh how I ♥ oats.

You might be sick of me raving about how much I adore oatmeal.

After all, oatmeal is kinda boring on it’s own.

But what about in cookies?

Or topped with fresh blueberries, sliced strawberries, chopped apples, walnuts, a drizzle of maple syrup?

Or as part of an oatmeal breakfast bar?

Yesterday, we pulled into Medford, Oregon, our most recent stop on our road trip, & are spending the next few days with my oldest sister, Colette (remember, she’s the one who loves chocolate chip cookies?).

She has 5 kids, who are all older than mine, & she’s had many years in the trenches of motherhood.  She knows a lot about raising kids, tips & tricks to organizing a home, creating delicious, economical meals.  No surprises that she was Oregon Mother of the year a few years back.

And no surprises she had this delicious breakfast set out for us this morning:  an oatmeal breakfast bar.

GF: Oatmeal Breakfast Bar

GF:  Oatmeal Breakfast Bar

An oatmeal breakfast bar makes breakfast fun because everyone can choose their own toppings. Who doesn't like personalizing breakfast?

Ingredients

• Oatmeal
  • Toppings
  • Here are some ideas for toppings:
  • fresh or frozen blueberries
  • chopped apples
  • sliced strawberries
  • banana slices
  • sliced almonds
  • raw sunflower seeds
  • shredded coconut
  • soy, almond, coconut, or rice milk
  • chopped walnuts
  • peanut butter
  • non-dairy chocolate chips
  • powdered stevia
  • organic turbinado sugar or brown sugar
  • agave
  • maple syrup
  • raisins
  • craisins
  • cinnamon

Instructions

1. Cook your pot of oatmeal to your liking (personally, I like a 3-to-1 ratio--3 cups water, to 1 cup oatmeal, with a pinch of salt).
  2. Prepare a handful of toppings. Place toppings in small bowls & let everyone create their own delightful dish of oatmeal.

What are some of your favorite oatmeal toppings?  Any good ones that I might have missed?

BRING JOY TO YOUR INBOX.

Get my regular updates--a roundup of extra tips & recipes for bringing more joy to living that I don't share on the blog. A list of my most recent posts so you're always up to date + other good stuff, like special savings on bring joy ebooks & products.* (It's 100% awesome, 100% FREE.)

*This is not the same as receiving my blog posts by email. These updates are full of exclusive, not-on-the-blog content.

Comments

1. Heather
    on August 11, 2012 at 5:45 pm said:

What an amazing idea! I love oats and this is such a great idea to make breakfast fun and easy for a crowd – love it!

2. April
    on August 9, 2012 at 8:51 pm said:

I love this idea. My kids love oatmeal anyway so what a neat idea to make it even more fun!

on August 9, 2012 at 10:26 pm said:

How great that your kids love oatmeal. Not all kids do, & such a shame, because it’s inexpensive & so nutritious. Thanks for stopping by, April.

3. Leanne @ Healthful Pursuit
    on August 9, 2012 at 7:57 am said:

Oh you tease! I wish I could eat oats every single day of my life. I can get away with having a serving every once in awhile… but just as I am sensitive to gluten, I am sensitive to oats. It’s tragic, really.

I love all the little bowls you’ve set up to enjoy your oats – such a fun activity with the family :)

on August 9, 2012 at 10:20 am said:

Leanne, how did you figure out you are sensitive to oats? My niece thinks she has an intolerance to oats, but I’ve never heard of someone having a sensitivity to oats before. Just curious how you figured it out.

4. Joy
    on August 9, 2012 at 7:19 am said:

Janae, I love oatmeal too! I should send you a slow cooker recipe I have that includes brown rice and flax seeds…to die for. These recommendations for cooking the oatmeal with a banana are awesome, and I can’t wait to try it. I like to cook old fashioned oatmeal with chopped up apples and cinnamon thrown in before the almond milk comes to a boil. Everything becomes flavorful! I need to remember to get you some cinnamon coated macadamia nuts next time I’m home — the best thing to crush up and throw over oatmeal for some crunch. Great post!

on August 9, 2012 at 11:13 pm said:

Joy, yes! Send me that slow cooker recipe if you get a chance, that sounds awesome. Cinnamon coated macadamia nuts?! Oh heavens. Yum.

on August 9, 2012 at 5:58 am said:

I actually love cooking the oatmeal with a sliced banana, vanilla, and…1 Tbsp cocoa powder. Yum! When you cook the banana, it gets ridiculously sweet, and the cocoa powder and vanilla make it taste super rich and decadent. All without any added sweeteners or fats! Delish….

on August 9, 2012 at 11:19 pm said:

I’ve never actually thought of cooking the banana with the oatmeal, what a great idea Tanya!

6. Jess
    on August 8, 2012 at 5:32 pm said:

I also ADORE oats. I eat them all the time. A trick I learned is to mash half of a banana in a bowl, let it sit while cooking the oats, then dump the oats on top and mix it all up. It cools them down a bit, and makes them super creamy and naturally sweet. Yum!
    My favorite toppings are chopped dates, unsweetened shredded coconut, sliced almonds, and a splash of almond or soy milk. Alternately, I like chopped apples and cinnamon – classic!

• Janae @ Bring-Joy
      on August 8, 2012 at 7:28 pm said:

Jess, what a great tip with the banana! I forgot about chopped dates, delicious. Thanks for the tips!

on August 9, 2012 at 11:26 pm said:

What a GREAT idea for how to use a banana in oats. Thanks for the tip, Jess. As always, you always add some loveliness to Bring Joy, with your insightful, helpful, & kind comments.