Vegan Gluten-free Chocolate Chip Cookies

This post is dedicated to my sister Colette, for whom life would not be worth living without a decent chocolate chip cookie on which to rely.

This cookie is for you Colette.

And don’t worry, it’s for you too, dear reader.

{I know, chocolate chip cookies aren’t health food, but life really is so much better with some really great chocolate chip cookies now & then, don’t you think?

Yes, I do have an oil-free version, but there are a few recipes that just taste remarkably better with some oil. What I think about oils, here.  I use these higher calorie foods judiciously, but I also enjoy them when I eat them!}

First, I must say, I have Dreena to thank, for introducing me to amazingly delicious chocolate chip cookies when I first went vegan 6 years ago.  She’s shown the world that the vegan version can hold it’s weight.

Recently, I wanted to create my own recipe, my own take on this classic (I actually did, a few years back, without oil, here).  I have worked hard to create a decadent cookie that doesn’t use eggs, butter, or gluten.  {You can also make this soy-free by using soy-free Earth Balance.}

Bring-Joy-Gluten-Free-Vegan-Chocolate-Chip-Cookie-Recipe-1

I have memories of making chocolate chip cookies as a kid, every Sunday after we got home from church.  They were pleasant ones.  I also have memories (not so pleasant) of the stomach aches I used to have afterwards.

Might have had something to do with the fact that I ate a half a dozen or more cookies in one sitting, perhaps.  Might also have something to do with that they were made from the four ingredients (white flour, white sugar, butter & eggs), that when combined, make me positively ill.  I still retain my extremist tendencies (darn it!), but I’ve wisened up & no longer eat foods that make me regret it later (usually).

Yes, this cookie is rich & calorie-dense, but it doesn’t make me feel down afterward.  In fact I feel just fine after eating it.  (I can say that because I had taste test several batches, before I got it just right.)

No regrets, just a thick, chewy, chocolate chip cookie, gluten-free, vegan.

It took a few tries, but I think I may have hit a formula that you’ll be pleased to eat (I hope!).  I know it made my taste buds happy & it passed the husband AND the kid test (doesn’t happen very often).

The first go around, I used Bob’s Red Mill GF all-purpose flour.

It was okay, but I don’t like the aftertaste of garbanzo bean flour, which is a part of the the all-purpose mix.  The second time around I changed the flours, adjusted the sweetener & added a bit more vanilla.   I like the texture of that the almond meal/flour provides & I like that the white rice flour has a very neutral taste, similar to white flour in that way.

The cookie is still more dense than your average white flour, butter & eggs cookie, but the beauty of this cookie, especially when you make it big (make sure to gently press down the cookie mound before baking if you use a cookie scoop), is that the outside get’s a little crispy while the inside is soft & chewy.

Chocolate Chip Cookies

Prep Time: 15 minutes

Cook Time: 20 minutes

Total Time: 35 minutes

Yield: 8 extra-large (4 TBS.) cookies, 10 large (3 TBS. per cookie), or 32 small (1 TBS. per cookie)

Serving Size: 1 extra-large cookie (4 TBS.) or 1 small (1 TBS.)

Calories per serving: 356 for extra-large, 88 for small

Fat grams per serving: 18 g for extra-large, 4.5 g for small

Chocolate Chip Cookies

A chewy, satisfying gluten-free vegan version of America's favorite--the chocolate chip cookie.

Ingredients

Dry Ingredients
  • 1 c. white rice flour
  • 1/4 c. almond flour
  • 3/4 tsp. baking soda
  • 1/4 tsp. salt
  • Wet Ingredients
  • 1/2 c. organic turbinado sugar
  • 1/4 c. pure maple syrup
  • 1/2 c. non-dairy butter (I used Earth Balance)
  • 1 tsp. pure vanilla
  • 3 TBS. water + 1 TBS. ground flax seed
  • Mix-ins
  • 3/4 c. non-dairy chocolate chips
  • 1/4 c. walnuts, chopped (optional)

Instructions

1. Turn your oven on to 350 F.
  2. Get your supplies ready: measuring cups, ingredients, two mixing bowls, spatulas. Put on your favorite apron, turn on some good music. You're making chocolate chip cookies for heaven's sake. It's going to be good.
  3. In one bowl, combine flours, salt & baking soda. Sift. I used a wire whisk, which'll do. Just make sure salt & soda are mixed thoroughly with the flours nicely.
  4. In another bowl, dump combine sugar, syrup, vanilla & butter.
  5. Whisk the flax seed with water for about 30 seconds until fluffy, then dump the flax mixture in with the other wet ingredients.
  6. Use wire whisk to whip the wet ingredients into shape for a minute or two.
  7. Combine wet & dry ingredients.
  8. Mix gently, but be careful only to mix just enough so that the mixture is barely incorporated. You don't want to over mix, otherwise you'll have cake-y cookies. We're not making cake here.
  9. Once that's done, add the chocolate chips & walnuts, but only mix enough so that the chocolate chips & walnuts are in the dough.
  10. The dough works better if chilled. You can skip this step, but your cookies won't be as pretty & uniform. 30 minutes in the fridge (or freezer for 20 minutes) should do the trick.
  11. These cookies taste best, in my opinion as a ginormous cookie, so use a big cookie scoop (3-4 TBS., depending on brand & scoop.) to scoop cookies onto cookie sheet. (I like this one.) You can also use a small cookie scoop, if you must. (I like this one). Space cookies 1-2 inches a part & use the palm of your hand to gently shmoosh the cookie so that it's flat, otherwise it won't bake in a uniform way & some parts will be undercooked.
  12. Bake at 350 F. For big cookies, bake for 18-20 minutes. I know it seems like a long time, but these cookies are huge & ingredients are different from a traditional eggs & gluten flour cookie which bakes differently. For smaller cookies (1 TBS or less), cook for 9 minutes. Make sure not to over bake, otherwise you'll get a dry cookie. Another "secret" is to take your cookies out when they still look not-quite done. Let them cool on the cookie sheet for a few minutes, then use a spatula & let cool further on the cookie rack. Or eat one while you wait for the rest to cool. Nothing like a cookie hot out of the oven,especially these ones. Cookies should be "set" or firm in 15-20 minutes, depending on how hot it is in your kitchen.

Additional nutrition info: Per extra large cookie, 4 g protein, 45 g carbs, 2 g fiber, 127 mg. sodium.

Substitute ingredients at your own risk! Recipe is only guaranteed to taste amazing if you follow instructions exactly & use all ingredients listed.

Like cookie dough in ice cream? Check out my recipe for chocolate, chocolate chip cookie dough at the Blissful Chef’s blog, here.

(That would be Asher’s little 5 year old hand, below, trying to grab the cookie while I was taking photos.)

Did you grow up making homemade chocolate chip cookies?

Do you like to eat milk with your cookies?  (I have to.  A glass of cold almond milk, please.)

BRING JOY TO YOUR INBOX.

Get my regular updates--a roundup of extra tips & recipes for bringing more joy to living that I don't share on the blog. A list of my most recent posts so you're always up to date + other good stuff, like special savings on bring joy ebooks & products.* (It's 100% awesome, 100% FREE.)

*This is not the same as receiving my blog posts by email. These updates are full of exclusive, not-on-the-blog content.

Comments

1. alanna
    on April 12, 2013 at 10:51 am said:

These a cookies are amazing. We made them right after your delicious lentil soup.
    Last year my four year old developed a few severe food allergies. Among them are egg and wheat. His favorite dessert used to be my classic chocolate chip cookies. Since we nixed those ingredients (and all the dairy in the house too) I haven’t made anything close to my classic cookie recipe. We tried once but they turned out flat and funny tasting.
    These chocolate chip cookies turned out looking almost identical to my old recipe (which had the children excited) and we all agreed they taste even better! So thank you. It makes my heart happy to serve my little guy his favorite treats when he is excluded from so many others. :)

2. Britney
    on November 30, 2012 at 9:45 am said:

These cookies are amazing!!! I loved your photography as well and your narration, what a joy to read. But these cookies, they are the real winner. I’ve been craving choc chip cookies but with many failed attempts to satisfy the type of cookie I was craving I was starting to loose hope. Till I found this recipe!! I love that there are no gums and I like that they are vegan even though we do eat eggs. I made a couple changes to make it work better for me. I used sweet brown rice flour that I ground myself, I used 1/2 cup honey and 5 drops of stevia in place of the other sweeteners and I only used 1/4 cup of earth balance. My cookies were done at 9 minutes but were so soft that it was hard to eat without breaking even after cooling. So the second round I did 11 minutes and they were perfect!! These are so moist and chewy while still be crisp on the outside just like you said. Amazing!! Thank you so so much!!!

on December 3, 2012 at 5:50 am said:

Thank you for your feedback! I’m so glad to know they worked out for you :)

3. Colette
    on August 5, 2012 at 12:55 pm said:

Thanks Janae! I don’t think I’ve ever had a post dedicated to me! I can’t wait to try your healthy version. It is TOOO true! I am a chocolate chip cookie addict!

4. Pingback: Guest Post: Ice Creams Made with the July Cooking Tool of the Month | The Blissful Chef

5. Marsha
    on July 13, 2012 at 4:40 pm said:

These look fabulous, Janae!! Can’t wait to make them! Yummy!

6. Leanne @ Healthful Pursuit
    on July 12, 2012 at 10:57 am said:

Gawsh, it’s all so beautiful! I would love to see how you take photos and process all of your photos. It must take you forever.
    I’m with you on the oil – I try to cut it out of recipes that don’t need it, but something things just need a bit of fat! And I’m okay with that :)

on July 12, 2012 at 11:08 am said:

I think we’d be great real life friends Leann! I’d love to get together with you & see how you do your photos too. (You do great photography.) Maybe one of these days I’ll get around to doing a post on what I’ve been learning about photography through much trial & a lot of error.

I’m with you about the fat thing. I’ve really adjusted my thinking on this over time, as I’ve realized it’s OKAY to sometimes have fat in my recipes. I’m not overweight, I don’t have heart disease. Plus, some recipes just have to have a bit.

7. Kristy
    on July 11, 2012 at 11:50 pm said:

These look great. The ingredients list calls for vanilla, but I don’t see it in the measurements or the directions. Was it in the final cookies or one of the test runs and left out of these?

on July 12, 2012 at 12:33 am said:

Ah Kristy, thank you for pointing that out. That was just a slip on my part. No, vanilla, most definitely needs to be in there. Such an important ingredient, the vanilla is. I can’t believe that escaped my notice (problem with being your own editor). Thank you thank you for being so stellar & letting me know. I’ll get that fixed pronto.

on July 12, 2012 at 12:39 am said:

Fixed!

8. Joya
    on July 11, 2012 at 2:34 pm said:

Yum. This looks wonderful. I don’t have any sort of self control when it comes to chocolate chip cookies but I’ll be making these soon. Your photographs are just gorgeous. And I love Asher’s hand in the pic, that’s too cute.

on July 11, 2012 at 3:14 pm said:

Joya: Yes, it is hard to have self-control about cookies, but these cookies are dense & filling. Still, hard to have just one, they are so good, but they are satisfying. After 1 (albeit big) cookie, I was content & didn’t have room for more.

Thanks for your comments Joya!~

9. Meg in Progress
    on July 11, 2012 at 1:48 pm said:

My favorite part was Asher’s adorable little hand. One of the greatest joys of childhood – stealing still warm cookies off the kitchen counter.

These look amazing!

on July 11, 2012 at 1:58 pm said:

Those are his teeth marks too!
      (& they taste amazing, too, if I do say so myself.)

10. Barbara
    on July 11, 2012 at 1:17 pm said:

Those look DIVINE! Thanks for sharing, Janae!

11. Dana
    on July 11, 2012 at 11:32 am said:

Janae! Please hurry and publish some work-out dvds because I’m going to need them with all these delicious recipes you are sharing with us!! I loved your fat free c/c cookies (thank you for introducing me to chia gel!) and I have a feeling these will be our kids’ newest addiction! I’ll have to pick up some white rice to make the flour. Or I’ll boldly ignore your quality warning and try brown rice flour instead.

And yes, baking chocolate chip cookies was something we did very often as kids. First thing I learned to do in the kitchen! My next door neighbor and I would make them on Saturday afternoons, eating way too much batter and even more cookies hot from the oven until we were so full we were nearly sick. Ugh. Reminds me of my lab who would eat til she explodes if we let her. :) Glad I have a teeny bit more sense now; I stop a good cookie short of exploding!

Thanks for all your hard work in the kitchen Janae. I’ll be jogging in place til I can buy one of your work out dvds!!

on July 11, 2012 at 3:12 pm said:

Dana: Yes, your childhood memories of cookie making closely resemble mine!

Thank you for saying such nice things. It means a lot.

(you can stop jogging in place now. hope you can wait a few years for my DVD.)

12. Caralyn @ glutenfreehappytummy
    on July 11, 2012 at 11:23 am said:

oh yes, life is not complete without cookies:) these look great!

13. Wendy
    on July 11, 2012 at 7:25 am said:

These look fabulous! I was planning on making chocolate chip cookies today anyway and I’m going to give this recipe a try.

on July 11, 2012 at 7:28 am said:

Any day is a good day for chocolate chip cookies!