Raspberries & (Ice) Cream

Yesterday Joseph went & picked up 3 gallons of raspberries, picked fresh out of an 80 year old man’s garden.  Purchased for $24.

The man told Joseph some stories.  He was married for 64 years.  Built the house that he’s lived in since ’53 (that would be 1953).  Just re-did his roof & uncovered ash from the Mt. St. Helen’s explosion.  If you’re not up on your Washington state trivia, Mt. St. Helen’s erupted in 1980.  Joseph doesn’t have a lot of experience with older folks, so he was impressed & delighted to speak to this man with so much history.

Joseph came home with a bounty of raspberries.

Boy, was I giddy.  Raspberries are one of those fruits that are really only worth eating if you can get them from someone’s back yard.  We had lots of raspberry bushes growing up, so I have memories of staining my fingers red & scouring the prickly bushes, looking for those berries that were good & plump, yet firm.

Last night the kids with the grandparents, Joseph was at a get-together with his brother, & I was at home.  Just me & Salem, who decided to make it an early night.

So I had a quiet evening to myself, & made myself this.

Earlier in the day I put the raspberries on a cookie sheet to do a quick freeze, so when I was ready for a treat, they were the perfect frozen compliment to my ice cream.
Drizzled a little agave,
And sat down & watched an episode of Downton Abbey.
Lovely.
How do you like to eat your raspberries?

Comments

1. Barbara Christensen
    on August 4, 2012 at 3:39 pm said:

Now know what I want to re-watch tonight… and with what dessert. 🙂

2. Joy
    on July 10, 2012 at 6:48 pm said:

Janae, these photos are absolutely gorgeous! I can’t wait to try your ice cream recipe this weekend. There’s a farm down the road from here that sells fresh fruit — you’ve inspired me to finally stop in there. Delicious!

on July 10, 2012 at 7:38 pm said:

Thank you Joy. Farm fresh fruit is best!

3. Caralyn @ glutenfreehappytummy
    on July 9, 2012 at 10:44 pm said:

oh yum! what a delicious and refreshing combo! i love the colors!

4. Melanie @ Nutritious Eats
    on July 2, 2012 at 3:49 pm said:

It was so nice meeting you at the BHF conference. I am just back from vacation and so many blogs to catch up on. I am so glad I met you and us military wives need to stay in touch. Your photos are gorgeous! I adore raspberries too. When not eating them as is, I love them with chocolate.

5. the egg
    on July 2, 2012 at 10:21 am said:

oh my gosh, your blog and photos are fantastic!!

xoxo

6. Melanie
    on July 1, 2012 at 8:46 pm said:

Just wanted to say…Downton Abbey is a great way to enjoy your ice cream. haha. That looks delicious! My childhood memories of raspberries were picking them from my grandma’s backyard and having a bowl full for breakfast. YUM! I was so disappointed when buying raspberries when I got out on my own (I guess we never really bought them as I was growing up?) …they are SO much better fresh from a garden!!! I bought a raspberry plant this year for $10. So far it has been worth it to just have the 5 or so ripe berries we’ve had so far. So heavenly! Your $24 for 3 gallons sounds pretty good to me!!!