Stages of Life: Sometimes It’s Weird

We’re in a weird stage of life right now.

Joseph & I are both unemployed (aside from a yoga class I teach once a week to some old students of mine).  We live in my parent’s basement.  We have not sold our house.  We are no longer students, excused from our debt & poverty because of our commitment to education.

By all accounts, we’re bums.

On the horizon, however, things are looking bright.  Joseph is finally an attorney.  With a job.  It just doesn’t start for a few more months.

And aside from lack of funds, the present situation, I’d say, has many perks.

We are time rich.  We have wide open days to swim, read, play legos, make ice cream,  jump on the trampoline (did I mention my parent’s have one?).  Joseph takes the kids to the library, to abuelito’s garden.  Cousins come over to play.  Grandma & grandpa are always around.

When we came to Washington, it was a choice.  We could have stayed in Utah for the summer, but we felt that this was the right thing to do, despite many uncertainties.  We left most of our belongings in Utah in a storage unit & only brought 2 weeks worth of clothes for each child, a few books, & the main essential, probably more important than our toothbrushes: legos.

Hyrum & Asher could not live without legos.

Legos, my friend, are something each child should be blessed to own.

They provide hours of entertainment.  Spark creativity.  Teach kids how to engineer, build.  Plus they are fun!

Also, they don’t break easily & are fairly easy to clean up after & organize (this makes them mom-approved).

{Especially easy to organize if you have something like these storage bags.  Aren’t they genius?  Going on my to-get-someday-hopefully-soon-once-Joseph-is-finally-employed list.}

Another thing we do a lot of is reading.

Mali, only 3, is our family’s biggest reader.  We can find her with a book almost any time of day.  She doesn’t know how to actually read, but no matter.  She makes up her own stories.

Asher just learned how to hula-hoop.  He can do it for 1 minute without letting it fall.  Impressive, eh?

We start our day with books, we read books after lunch.  We read any time we are not playing.  We end our day with books.

A classic that we all enjoy, is Stone Soup.

{The version we read, here, or a more cost-effective version, here.}

To see who won the Bob’s Red Mill & Wholesome Sweetener’s giveaway, go here.

Have you ever been time rich, money poor?  Or money rich & time poor?

Which one would you prefer?

Comments

1. Pingback: how to raise an intelligent boy

2. Stephanie
    on July 1, 2012 at 6:47 pm said:

At the moment we’re struggling with money AND time poor. Luckily I am personally never time poor, but it starts to feel like it sometimes when the hubby is gone at work/school for too long or with the added pressures of this never ending pregnancy… I doubt I’ll ever be one of those women who just unconsciously floats through to their due date. 😉

When Justin switched his major a few years ago we consciously made the decision that we would prefer to be money poor and time rich for the rest of our lives (he switched to a teaching degree) and when he graduates in April after this experience I feel like “woo-hoo! We’ll have money!” Haha. Of course it’ll be less and take more years to pay of student loans than if he were an engineer, but I am learning how to be more self sufficient and to save money where I can. I don’t really mind the simplicity of being money poor as long as I can get what we need and fun things every once in a while.

My love of the library has been rekindled this summer and I can’t get enough of it. I do some writing from home for extra income, but lately I go to the library to write (after wandering around for 1-2 hours all by myself). I also like to take the kids to storytime, but that is our kid library trip. I like to go and indulge by myself. 🙂

3. Clare
    on June 30, 2012 at 11:13 am said:

This is such a great post! Right now I am time rich and money poor, so I can relate to this. I am trying my best to take advantage of our time here in Dominica to explore the island and really learn about and enjoy the culture. Since I do have lots of time I have made volunteering a weekly part of my weekly schedule, and it has been so eye opening. I love all the time that are able to spend with your sweet family, you are such a good mom!

4. Caralyn @ glutenfreehappytummy
    on June 29, 2012 at 8:38 am said:

oh my gosh, what a darling photo oh Mali sleeping during story time! so cute! I’m glad you’ve been enjoying your time with your family. You’re creating precious memories that will be cherished:)

on June 29, 2012 at 9:14 am said:

I know, clearly, it had been a long day for her. She doesn’t take naps anymore, but often, late afternoonish, she’ll sit down for books & start nodding off, or conk out completely.

5. Wendy
    on June 29, 2012 at 5:56 am said:

I would choose somewhere in the middle – it is hard to enjoy time when you are worried about money. But, as long as you’ve got the basics covered – which it sounds like you do staying with family – I’d always choose the time.

My boys are totally obsessed with legos – there are days when that is all that they play. My mom actually made them each a Swoop-style bag and they came out great!

on June 29, 2012 at 9:23 am said:

First time I’ve ever seen a swoop bag. Maybe this concept has been around for awhile, but it’s new to me, & I think it’s brilliant. I have a sewing machine, but it’s highly unlikely I’ll be making anything this summer. Too many fun things to do out doors. Maybe a project for when we finally settle down into our new location.

Time is priceless. But can’t I have both?

6. Kristin
    on June 29, 2012 at 5:28 am said:

Oh, I would choose money poor and time rich any day of the week! I suppose that’s what we’ve been most of our lives, since we are both self-employed! Soak up each of the precious moments you have together! What a gift. I teach a yoga-ish class as well, so that was a fun thing to hear we have in common. 🙂 Nice to “meet you”…hope your weekend is fabulous!

on June 29, 2012 at 9:24 am said:

Oooh, nice to meet you too. What do you mean by yoga-ish? Do you throw in some Pilates, weights? I’m dying to know.

7. Leanne
    on June 28, 2012 at 9:28 pm said:

Well I have NEVER fallen under the “money rich” tab, but I am ok with that. Money is nice and you do need some to live..however I prefer the “time rich, money poor”. I have a part-time and get laid off each May and go back to work around Labor Day. So right now I am enjoying being at home with my girls. And, I love it. All we have is time, this week, even with slightly sick kids, we went for a nice long walk (hike), and I have been helping my daughter sew dresses for their dolls. We read too. I read to them almost everyday even though they are 11 & 8, I am reading Charlottes Web right now!
    Children are so precious!

on June 29, 2012 at 9:26 am said:

We’re also in the middle of Charlotte’s Web. I love that book.

Your job sounds similar to ONE of the jobs I had for the past 5 years. It was great having the summer’s off. Gave me time to breath & really enjoy being outdoors & with my kids. I agree, children are precious & they grown too fast.

8. Alysa
    on June 28, 2012 at 7:57 pm said:

It seems like I go back and forth on being time poor and money poor. I figured out the other day that I do fine as long as I’m rich in one way or the other, but I get to feeling down when I’m double poor.

on June 29, 2012 at 9:28 am said:

Double poor. That is a depressing state of being.

I think if I had a balance of the two, say money rich for awhile, so then I could be time rich for awhile, would be something that I’d be fine with. However, in the end, like you, I’d like for it to all balance out.