Gluten-free Oatmeal Cookies

I love the month of June.

In Sunnyside, our new temporary location, June is an especially lovely month.

Not too hot, but warm enough to stay outside well into the evenings.  Since we’re more up north, it doesn’t get dark until almost 9:30!

The kids like to ride their bikes in the driveway after dinner.

Then we go swimming.

Followed by a dip in the hot tub.

These cool early-summer evenings are made better with cookies made by my mom.

Since one of my nieces went gluten-free 4 years ago, & now that Salem & I are wheat-free & (mostly) gluten-free, my mom has learned how to create gluten-free cookies.

I call these June cookies, because they are the perfect end to beautiful early summer’s day.

A word of warning:  these cookies are addicting!  I think I ate 6 or 7 (they’re small, so I can do that, right?) right out of the oven.  So, while these are healthy take on the traditional oatmeal cookie, they’re not calorie free.  There, you’ve been forewarned.  Also, to make these truly gluten free, you’ll have to make sure the oats you use are certified gluten-free.  Since I’m not Celiac, I’m not strict about using only gluten-free oatmeal.

These are one of the best oil-free cookies I’ve had.  A lot of times, lowfat cookies turn out cake-y.  These one’s are pretty dense, and more cookie-like than any lowfat cookie I’ve tried.  And don’t skimp on the nuts either–the walnuts add lots of flavor, texture, & some fat.

{Here are a few things to help you in your cookie baking adventure– my fave:  cookie scoop, measuring cups, whisk, wooden spoon, mixing bowls.}

Gluten-free Vegan Oatmeal Cookies

Prep Time: 15 minutes

Cook Time: 12 minutes

Total Time: 30 minutes

Yield: 10 dozen, small cookies

Serving Size: 1 cookie

Calories per serving: 48

Fat grams per serving: 1 g

Gluten-free Vegan Oatmeal Cookies

A gluten-free, vegan cookie fusion of oats, coconut, & walnuts!

Ingredients

• 1 c. raisins
  • 2 c. water
  • 1 c. chopped walnuts or almonds
  • 1/2 c. unsweetened coconut flakes
  • 3 c. old fashioned rolled oats

Instructions

1. Preheat your oven to 350 F. During the summer, you might want to hold off doing this until you're almost ready to pop the cookies in, otherwise it can get mighty hot in the kitchen!
  2. First thing you need to do is mill the millet, brown rice, & 2 c. oats. My mom uses her vita-mix to do this. I use my Blendtec. If you have a flour grinder, you can also use this. If you don't have a flour mill or blender that makes flours, you can buy the actual flour & reduce the amounts of the grains by 1/4 c.
  3. Take your freshly milled flours & combine with the coconut palm sugar (it's like brown sugar, but vegan & less refined, so if you don't have this, brown sugar will do), sea salt, soda, & cinnamon. Sift or, do as I do, & use a wire wisk to blend the dry ingredients.
  4. In your blender, combine the raisins, flax seed & water & give it a whirl until you have a thin paste. Add applesauce & blend briefly, just enough to mix everything.
  5. Now's the time to combine everything! In a large bowl, combine dry ingredients with your wet.
  6. Add the walnuts, coconut, & rolled oats. These are the secret ingredients that give the cookie lots of texture & flavor, so feel free to be generous with your measurements.
  7. This next step is important--make sure to combine the ingredients, but don't overmix. Mix just enough so that everything is incorporated. You don't want cake-y cookies & since these are low-fat, they are already going to lean towards a more cake-like cookie, so only mix the bare-minimum.
  8. I hope you have a small cookie scoop ). Get yours (or drop by uniform balls, much harder this way if you ask me, but do-able) & place scoops on non-stick cookie sheet.
  9. Bake for 10-12 minutes.
  10. When you take your cookies out, they should look slightly under-cooked. This is good! They will firm up after a few minutes (this is one of the secrets to successful cookie making).
  11. Let the cookies cool on a cookie rack.
  12. Pour yourself a glass of your favorite milk, sit on your porch, patio, or what have you, & enjoy a breezy summer evening!

Per serving: 9 g carbs, 1 g protein, 1 g fiber, 30 mg sodium.

This recipe makes A LOT of cookies, so be prepared to freeze some, or cut the recipe in half (or if you have a lot of hungry mouths, like I do, they'll vanish in no time!).

This recipe can also be found at Diet, Dessert, & Dogs & Slightly Indulgent Tuesdays.

BRING JOY TO YOUR INBOX.

Get my regular updates--a roundup of extra tips & recipes for bringing more joy to living that I don't share on the blog. A list of my most recent posts so you're always up to date + other good stuff, like special savings on bring joy ebooks & products.* (It's 100% awesome, 100% FREE.)

*This is not the same as receiving my blog posts by email. These updates are full of exclusive, not-on-the-blog content.

Comments

1. [GET] Collect Checks With This Copy & Paste Reputation Management Business In A Box? Local Business Lures DOWNLOAD
    on August 5, 2013 at 4:52 am said:

Hi, i think that i saw you visited my blog thus i came to return the favor?
    .I’m attempting to find things to enhance my web site!I suppose its adequate to use some of your concepts!!

2. Howard
    on August 4, 2013 at 4:32 pm said:

I read this article completely regarding the difference of newest and previous technologies, it’s awesome article.

3. [GET] Simple Way 2 Siphon Loads Of Traffic From The 2 Biggest Search Traffic Sources On The Planet DOWNLOAD
    on July 30, 2013 at 10:58 pm said:

Hi it’s me, I am also visiting this website daily, this site is genuinely fastidious and the visitors are really sharing fastidious thoughts.

4. meadville seo
    on April 7, 2013 at 2:20 am said:

With havin so much written content do you ever run into any problems of plagorism or
    copyright violation? My blog has a lot of completely unique content I’ve either authored myself or outsourced but it appears a lot of it is popping it up all over the internet without my authorization. Do you know any techniques to help reduce content from being ripped off? I’d
    genuinely appreciate it.

5. Shanda
    on June 24, 2012 at 7:52 pm said:

Where do you find your date sugar? Is it like sucanet? I would love a post on sweeteners you use! I’m always lost because there is so many options and they can be pricey!

6. Wendy
    on June 21, 2012 at 1:05 am said:

Hi!

These sounds delicious! Do you think I can replace the sugar with honey? We’re only allowed to have Stevia or Raw honey in our food.
    We’re very new to the gluten free sugar free diet and I’m still learning a lot about how you can bake and make nice and healthy treats.

I’m spending my days looking for recipes.

Wendy

on June 21, 2012 at 6:27 am said:

Yes, but if you use honey, you’ll need to reduce the amount to 1 1/2 c., add 1/2 tsp. additional baking soda, & reduce the water to 1 1/4 c. instead of 2.

You can substitute honey or agave for sugar, but you you’ll always use less, reduce the amount of liquid by 1/3, & add 1/4 tsp. of baking soda for every cup of honey or agave used. The recipe won’t turn out exactly as the original & you may need to do some experimenting with the measurements depending on the particular recipe, but overall, a sweetener is a sweetener, so the end product should be very similar. Good luck, & welcome to the world of delicious, healthy, feel good food!

• Wendy
        on June 21, 2012 at 8:25 am said:

Thank you!

7. Kristen
    on June 20, 2012 at 5:38 pm said:

I just keep thinking this so I thought I should “say” it. I just LOVE it when you share your favorite things on your posts like the cookie scoop you use here. I am surely going to be putting that cookie scoop on my wish list and making these cookies with it whenever I get one. I always wish my cookies and meatless meatballs would be uniform in size and shape and now I have a solution!! And I keep telling myself “duh” why didn’t I think of a cookie scoop sooner than now! :) Thanks for sharing!!

on June 21, 2012 at 6:32 am said:

Thanks Kristen for “saying” what you’ve been thinking! I actually have a small, medium, & large cookie scoop, because you never know what size you’ll need or want because it’s particular to each recipe.

There are some tools that I just totally rely on, on a consistent basis that make my life so much easier.

I know this is silly, but a good can opener is one! While at my mom’s house, I don’t have all of my kitchen tools, & she doesn’t have everything that I have in my own kitchen, so it’s been interesting. For example, the first few weeks here, I had to use her 20 year old can opener that only did a half-baked job of opening the can. Whew, was THAT frustrating! I mean, really, how much does a decent can opener cost these days, & how much will it improve the kitchen experience? I don’t use canned goods that often, but when I do, holy cow, I want a can opener that will do it’s job!

• Kristen
        on June 23, 2012 at 10:56 pm said:

YES!! I totally know what you mean about a good can opener! My good friend Pam had the best can opener and she got us one when we got married. It’s this Kuhn Rikon can opener see here on Amazon http://www.amazon.com/Kuhn-Rikon-Safety-Lifter-White/dp/B0002BQNR6/ref=pd_sim_sbs_k_1

My mom still cannot figure out how this can opener works. It’s quite hilarious when she comes for a visit! We laugh and I try to teach her every time.

8. Katie
    on June 20, 2012 at 8:40 am said:

Can I make this with regular wheat flour? If so, would I still use the brown rice? I really want to try these!

on June 20, 2012 at 1:29 pm said:

Yes, you can replace all flours with wheat flour–I’d do 1/3 whole wheat & 2/3 white flour, but that’s just my take. If you end up making it, let me know how it turns out. Good luck, Katie!

• Katie
        on June 20, 2012 at 2:42 pm said:

Great. And then keep the brown rice?

on June 20, 2012 at 2:51 pm said:

It’s up to you. Either way, make sure the total flour measurement stays the same.

9. Ashlee Crozier
    on June 17, 2012 at 4:44 pm said:

Hi Janae — I know a good recipe when I see one! I printed this out and immediately made the 10 dozen cookies!

My family, (especially hubby!) loved these cookies. I am a real sucker for recipes that incorporate tons of healthy ingredients. I loved grinding my own flours (millet, brown rice and oats? SO COOL!) and making the date paste (instead of raisins). These were SO good (earthy even?) that I am going to send the link/recipe on to my Mom who also appreciates these healthy foods. This recipe is definitely a keeper!

And, your Mom totally reminds me of my Mom. There is something so special about Moms, and their ability to make Gluten free amazing foods by just shooting from the hip and inventing their own recipes. Plus your mom (like mine) looks super-gentle and oh-so-wise. Qualities I see in my Mom! Tell her thank you for the cookies, and thank YOU for posting them and your beautiful pics!

on June 17, 2012 at 7:17 pm said:

Wow, I’m impressed!

I know, my mom makes it seem so effortless. She just kinda glides through the kitchen without a second thought. No hesitation. I guess that’s what you get after over 40 years of cooking for a husband, kids, & now lot’s of grandkids & in-laws.

Glad you enjoyed, & nice to hear from you. Hope you’re doing well :)

10. Whole-istic Living
    on June 16, 2012 at 7:29 am said:

These look so delicous, can not wait to try them out! Definatly will be linking to this recipe on my recipe page ! YUMMMY

on June 16, 2012 at 8:22 am said:

Thank you. I’m fairly confident they’ll be a crowd pleaser–10 dozen cookies went fast in this house!

11. Caralyn @ glutenfreehappytummy
    on June 15, 2012 at 9:30 pm said:

those look delicious! and your kids are too precious! those eyes!! adorable:) thanks for sharing!

on June 15, 2012 at 10:08 pm said:

Thanks Caralyn, glad you could stop by!

12. Ricki
    on June 15, 2012 at 8:10 pm said:

They look fabulous–and love all the photos! The new site design is stunning. Congrats! And as always, thanks for linking up to Wellness Weekend! :D

on June 15, 2012 at 8:58 pm said:

Hi Ricki–thank you! Of course, I like to link up when I’m able, the past few weeks have been busy ones so it’s been hard to coordinate my recipe making & posting at the right time. Glad to link up when I can–thanks for doing it, it’s a great way to bring us all together.

13. Rebekah
    on June 15, 2012 at 5:05 pm said:

Is that pool and hot tub at your house?! That looks amazing! Your photography is just breathtaking, by the way.

on June 15, 2012 at 5:17 pm said:

Rebekah, it’s both! How lucky are we? Between all the cousins, grandparents, pool, hot tub, trampoline, & fun activities, my kids are SPOILED! Not like in the good old days when we slept on rocks & it was a good day if could turn the lights on No really, we are super lucky to be living in such a fun place for the kids, surrounded by lots of love.
      Thanks, I admit, I take about a thousand pics a week (maybe a slight exageration), but I love my camera & capturing moments with it. A good camera is worth it’s weight in gold, especially when the kids are young & growing so fast, you want to capture as much as you can.

on June 15, 2012 at 4:38 pm said:

Mmmm….look very good. I don’t have those flours in my house, and don’t have a high-speed blender, but I’ll have to keep this recipe in my file in case i every feel the need to buy those flours and make these cookies.

I know i keep saying it, but your kids are the cutest!!

on June 15, 2012 at 5:01 pm said:

Thanks, I don’t think you can say it too much–I agree, they are cute!

Oh I wish you had a blender to make this recipe, I think your pregnant self would really like them!

15. Meredith
    on June 15, 2012 at 3:07 pm said:

These cookies look delicious! Excited to try out the recipe this weekend. Would a regular blender work to mill the flours?

on June 15, 2012 at 3:20 pm said:

Meredith: I I don’t think a regular blender will mill the flours as finely as a Blendtec or a Vitamix, but I think it should be fine for baking. You can buy these grains as flours, but I find it much easier (& more cost effective) to mill my own flours with my Blendtec. You can get a flour grinder for pretty cheap, if a fancy blender isn’t in your budget. If you end up trying it out, let me know how the flours turn out in your blender :)

• Meredith