Grilled Romaine & Saying Goodbye

Did you know you can grill romaine lettuce?

You didn’t?

I wouldn’t have known either, if it hadn’t have been for bag of baby romaine lettuce I bought at Costco that had a little picture on the front that said:  “Great for grilling!”  I told Joseph about it, how I was excited to try it at our going away barbecue.  He said, “No way.  You don’t grill lettuce.”   I figured you can, otherwise there wouldn’t be a picture of it on the lettuce bag.

So, with a little trepidation & excitement, I saved the romaine lettuce for our going away barbecue we had last weekend.

Grilled Baby Romaine Lettuce

Prep Time: 5 minutes

Cook Time: 8 minutes

Total Time: 13 minutes

Yield: 12 servings

Serving Size: 1/2 romaine head

Calories per serving: 69

Fat grams per serving: 5

Lettuce is not just for salads! It can be thrown on the grill with the rest of it. Make sure you use baby romaine heads, not the full heads of romaine.

Ingredients

• 6 heads baby romaine lettuce
  • 1/4 c. olive oil
  • 1/4. c. balsamic vinegar
  • 1 TBS. Mrs. Dash or your favorite no-salt seasoning
  • 1 tsp. garlic powder
  • Freshly ground pepper & sea salt, to taste

Instructions

1. Heat the grill on medium/high flame
  2. Wash & cut baby romaine in half
  3. Mix oil, vinegar, seasoning
  4. Brush dressing on front & back of lettuce
  5. Place on grill & cook each side for 2-3 minutes
  6. Remove from grill & season w/ fresh salt & pepper

2 g protein, 6 g carbs, 3 g fiber.

We actually had two barbecues.  One on Saturday & then another on Sunday after church.  Too many people we love!  Sad to say goodbye.

One of the best parts of living in our house is the neighborhood.  Never underestimate the power of a tight-knit neighborhood.  It’s down-to-earth, with a mix of young & older families, artists, students, teachers, handymen.  They are the kind of people who’d show up on a Saturday & help you lay sod.

Here are some pics from the barbecue(s).

Isn’t this little girl a doll?

Daughter of our friends, Yulia & Nate.  She’s about the same age as Salem.

One of our dear friends, Anne.  She is one of our favorite people from this neighborhood.  She has a sense of humor that is witty, distinct, subtle, & sharp all at the same time.
After the barbecue she engaged us with several good stories involving flying squirrels, a rooster, & some neighbors who showed up to her wedding in Smurf costumes.  Interesting?  Heck yes.  Joseph & I laughed till our belly’s hurt.

Of course there were meat-things for our omnivore friends.  But we did grill lots of veggies.  Other than the lettuce, we grilled corn, pineapple, & green peppers.  The grilled veggies were my only cooked food during my 2 week cleanse.

Our friends Yulia & Nate (Yulia is Russian).  They have 6 kids.  They are bilingual in Russian & English.  They homeschool.  They are friends from our old Provo neighborhood & we’ve kept in touch over the years because they are so cool.
Our neighbor Paula.  She is as nice & sweet as as she is pretty.
We had a pinata.  Joseph usually insists making the pinatas we have for our parties, but since we were in the middle of moving a lot of our stuff & showing our house, we got a store bought one.  Here’s Mali, with a handful of loot.  Joseph was in charge of the candy.  I’m pretty sure it wasn’t the healthy kind.
A dear friend of mine, Tausha.  She taught fitness classes with me at UVU.  She is a bright light, positive, & upbeat.
All the neighbor kids lining up to have a chance at the pinata.  Whoever invented the pinata is genius.
Our friends Josh & Rachel.  He makes documentary films.  She works from home.  They have 2 (adorable) kids.
My brother-in-law & sister.  The girl on the right is our babysitter.  She’s a nanny by day, our babysitter,  several times a month, by night.
She’s the kind of babysitter that plays with the kids AND cleans your house.  Oh, we are REALLY going to miss her.
This is our next door neighbor Ron.  He helped me out so many times when Joseph was at school or work.
Here’s a short list:  1)  helped me figure out the wiring when I got in over my head trying to install lighting fixtures  2)  helped me find my water shut off valve when a pipe burst & we had to shut off the water  3)  Got rid of a live mouse that was caught in a plant near my sink (long story)
****
Have you ever had to say good-bye to a neighborhood you loved?  Have you ever grilled lettuce or any other not-so-common grilled vegetable before?

Comments

1. Dana
    on June 1, 2012 at 9:56 am said:

Janae- Congratulations on your new website! It looks wonderful! You are an amazing woman to get this site pulled together and put forth to your anxious followers, all while preparing for a move, taking care of your beautiful family and everything else you have going on. You inspire me in every way!

Thanks for sharing some snaps of your barbeque. You have some terrific friends. Hope you get to meet some great new pals in your new home soon!

on June 1, 2012 at 11:21 am said:

Dana, thank you! I had an amazing designer (Fifth & Hazel) & awesome programmer. I certainly didn’t do this all by myself (I’m tech-challenged, but getting better).

Another thing, my husband absolutely has to take so much of the credit. His support & help is what enables me to do everything that I do. We’re a team–what he does is partly my work & what I do is partly his. We try to support each other & cheer each other on. He’s been an amazing dad & again, I can’t stress this enough, no way could I do what I do without him.

I’m glad you liked the pics. I’m still a little shy about sharing bits & pieces of my life, like “who will care, anyway?”, so hearing positive feedback gives me encouragement to be open w/ our lives & activities. (& thanks for the well wishes, I too, am excited for what’s ahead)

2. Sabrina
    on May 31, 2012 at 10:43 pm said:

The new site looks great! I hate saying goodbye to good neighbors and friends. A good neighborhood is worth a lot. I hope your new adventure treats your family well. I am totally going to try grilling the romaine. It looks delicious. Something we love to grill is broccoli stems. We just cut off the outer layer of the stems w/ the existing leaf shoots, then add a little olive oil and no salt seasoning. Delicious!

on June 1, 2012 at 11:13 am said:

Yes, agreed. A good neighborhood is priceless. Funny thing though, you have no idea what kind of neighbors you’ll have before you move in. It’s kind of a gamble. We certainly lucked out!

Brocolli stems? So just the stem, no brocolli? Oh, I will have to try that. Thanks for the tip!

3. Rachel
    on May 31, 2012 at 6:15 pm said:

Beautiful website, Janae! And WONDERFUL pictures. Its so funny because I was just scrolling down looking at the pictures before I read the article and saw Aila! So strange at first but so HAPPY you and Yulia are such good friends. 🙂 Glad to hear things are going GREAT for you and yours. Hugs….

on May 31, 2012 at 8:48 pm said:

Rachel! Thank you! One of my regrets is not getting together w/ you more often while we lived in Utah. After all, you’re the one who introduced the whole vegan thing to me. Really, it’s safe to say, if it weren’t for you, this blog wouldn’t exist!

Yes, Aila, isn’t she a doll? We wish we would have gotten together more often w/ Yulia & Nate, but we did have a funny way of always running into each other. Recently we ran into them at a Rooftop Series concert & ended up sitting w/ them & their family.

Thanks for the love, I always appreciate hearing from you!

4. Marsha
    on May 31, 2012 at 5:01 pm said:

Janae, I aspire to be more like you in the way of getting to know the neighbor! I know only the couple next door. I love the beautiful pictures from your BBQ!! And grilled romaine! Wow, I buy in bulk at Costco so I will definitely give this a try! Thanks so much for sharing. I hope these goodbyes open the door to much more to come. New friends, new places, new beginnings. Good luck!

on May 31, 2012 at 8:44 pm said:

It is so worth it to get to know your neighbors. Knowing your neighbors makes ALL the difference. We have gotten to know so many fantastic, talented, NICE people in our neighborhood that have really enriched our lives & our experience living in Provo. I am going to miss those guys.

5. Janae Wise
    on May 31, 2012 at 4:36 pm said:

Thank you!

Okay Dreena, confession. I accidentally left your cookbook at our house in Utah! It’s going to be a few weeks until I can get it (when we move the rest of the stuff out of our house) & I’m DYING here. I can’t wait to try your recipes & blog all about it. You know I will, as soon as I get my hands back on that cookbook.

• Dreena Burton
      on May 31, 2012 at 8:56 pm said:

haha! My gosh, moving is a total gong show, isn’t it? Esp with kiddos, how much to get through and organize. Hopefully it will be back with you soon, and until then, try to take some time to rest up, moving process is so darn stressful! hugs… 🙂

on May 31, 2012 at 9:05 pm said:

Yes, I wouldn’t wish it in on my worst enemy. It’s a zoo! Although we haven’t completely moved all of our belongings, I’d like to think the hardest part is over. Believe me though, I got a chance to flip through LTEV & was so impressed with everything that you put together. You INSPIRE me!

6. Dreena Burton
    on May 31, 2012 at 4:30 pm said:

Goodbyes are SO hard. Yet, they bring us to new beginnings. I’m sure you will establish beautiful new connections – and keep many of your close ones.

Unrelated note – your new site is GORGEOUS! I will share it soon.

And, I think grilling brings a certain kind of flavor magic to vegetables!