Most of my home decor was either purchased on sale, with coupons, received as a gift (I still do have some of those gifts from our wedding gift registry!), or bought from second-hand stores like Goodwill or Desert Industries.
Here are some of my top places to shop for my house:
- Target: Oh Target. Why do you have to be so clean, organized, & lovely so that I want to buy everything in the store? Target is a great place for mirrors, shelving, & little bits & bobs you need to make your house feel homey (like wicker baskets, throw blankets, pillows, & fake flower arrangements & wreaths). I’ve also had success finding reasonably priced, nice bookshelves. Check out their clearance section (often at the end of the aisles).
- Kohl’s: Has a great selection of picture frames, kitchen stuff, & Christmas decorations which you can often get at a deep discount with coupons & sales.
- Pier1: I’m in love with this store. I don’t like everything there–the bright colors & bold prints aren’t my thing, but I recently got all my living room furniture there & it’s a perfect fit for my style. This is a great place for pillows (they have some amazing decorative pillows!), decorative candles & candle holders, table & dishware, furniture, curtains, & rugs. They often have sales or clearance items.
- Tai Pan Trading Company: Not crazy about their overall style–it borders on a bit too flowery or cutesy for my taste, but I’ve been able to find a few different items there that I really like.
- JCPenney’s: I purchased most of my lamps from here. Also buy my comforters, sheets (highest count possible), & other bedding items.
- Tuesday Morning: Kind of a “last chance” store. Lot’s of designer home decor pieces. Similar to TJ Maxx but better selection, more designer goods to choose from. Hit & miss, depending on what you’re looking for, but they get new stuff every week. Great for fake plants, door mats, rugs, & paintings or inexpensive wall art.
- Kmart: They actually have some really great, affordable furniture pieces (was even better when they carried their Martha Stewart line). I think the rest of the store is a jumbled, useless mess, but I’m quite happy with some of the furniture pieces I’ve been able to get there (like my kitchen hutch & kitchen table!).
[Full Disclosure: My house is not always immaculately clean. Just saying. I don't want to you to start thinking my house always is spic & span without a trace or hint of dust, crumbs, or peanut butter smears. I am human & I have 4 little persons running around the place, for Pete's sake!]