Easy Breakfast Slaw

You know how I like incorporating vegetables at every meal, but what to do for breakfast?
Veggies are easy to sneak into some sort of hash brown or tofu scramble, green smoothies, all “normal” options for your a.m. meal, but what about a salad for breakfast?
I actually don’t mind eating salads for breakfast, especially since I’m not totally attached to the idea of the traditional “3 squares-a-day” approach.  Remember, I’m more of a 2 meal a day kinda girl, whether I like it or not, that’s just how it usually plays out.(More on why vegetables, especially green vegetables, should play a major role in your diet, here.)

Salad for breakfast, why not?

Here’s a breakfast themed salad I often have (or some variation of it) when I have zucchini on hand (which is, as you know, whenever they happen to be on sale).

I think of it more like a slaw, since the zucchini & carrots are grated (it’s a medium grate, not fine or too big).

The hemp seeds add some protein & omega-3′s, & more importantly, some crunch.

Pair this breakfast slaw with your favorite smoothie recipe (there are so many!), a small bowl of oatmeal, or brown rice cakes topped with mashed avocado (one of my fave things to eat, any time of day!).

Easy Breakfast Slaw

• 2 zucchini, grated
  • 2 carrots, peeled & grated
  • 1 c. frozen (or fresh) blueberries
  • 1 fuji apple, diced
  • 2-3 stalks celery, finely chopped
  • 2 TBS. soy or almond milk
  • 1 TBS. hemp seeds (or more, for extra protein)
  • Stevia in the Raw to taste OR 1 TBS. agave

Toss all ingredients, except for the hemp seeds.  Sprinkle some hemp seeds over top of each serving.

Nutrition Info:  2 servings, per serving (does not include agave):  185 calories, 6 g protein, 35 g carbs, 4 g fat, 9 g fiber, insignificant amount sodium.

Check out the Wellness Weekend post at Diet, Dessert, & Dogs where you’ll find this & more easy, delicious, whole foods recipes.  Also submitted to Friday Foodie Fix .

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Comments

1. Pingback: Friday Foodie Fix Swiss Chard Gluten Free Recipes | The WHOLE Gang

2. on June 18, 2012 at 10:32 am said:

Salad for breakfast- Brilliant! I love how you soften the concept with plenty of sweet fruits, too… Somehow, I just feel like something really green/bitter would be a bit much for me to handle first thing in the morning. This, on the other hand, is just my speed.

• on June 18, 2012 at 12:21 pm said:

Thanks Hanah! (I’m loving your “Around the World in 80 Plates” series, btw.

Yes, a hardcore green salad first thing in the morning (yes, I’ve tried), is a bit too much. I think us American’s are all hardwired to have something a little sweet to start out our day, don’t you think?

3. Vicky (Sweet and Healthy Living)
    on April 29, 2012 at 9:14 pm said:

I am the same. I usually only need 2 meals a day and I love to have veggies or a salad for my first meal! That slaw looks yummy. I love that it combines veggies, fruit and seeds!

4. kitkat048
    on April 27, 2012 at 11:11 pm said:

Wow, oatmeal sounds even better than rice :-)

5. Janae Wise
    on April 27, 2012 at 9:03 pm said:

KitKat048: With it, I actually had a smoothie, ate the rest of my kids leftover oatmeal (hee hee), & to top it off, brown rice cakes w/ avocado. I know a little random, but there you go.

6. kitkat048
    on April 27, 2012 at 8:49 pm said:

Yum!!!
    What did you have with it? Brown rice? I think it would be great mixed into that, or maybe even quina! :-)

7. Whole Foods Vegan Momma
    on April 27, 2012 at 6:17 pm said:

Lindsay: You're most welcome! I sometimes do add some oatmeal to it, depends on what else I'm eating with it.

I love zucchini because it can easily go sweet or savory, so it works with fruit, unlike other veggies like green beans or broccoli.

8. Lindsay
    on April 27, 2012 at 6:03 pm said:

Great recipe! It would probably be good to mix some into oatmeal too. Great way to add veggies, thanks!