FitWorkout #1 Video: Workout in Less than 20 minutes!

Hey there. You going to have a good weekend?

I know I am. I have more family (different from last weekend), in town and we’re scheduled to watch all of the (Mormon) LDS General Conference.

Did you see what fun I’ve been up to? And the clothes I like to wear when I work out? If not, go here & here for my two most recent posts, if you care to know.

Now onto the real business at hand.

Want some more muscle to go with your flex? I’ll show you how.

Drumroll, please…

Tadaa! It’s here, one steaming plate of fitness video goodness, served fresh, just for you :)!

FitWorkout Video #1

Janae Wise’s Workout Video #1 from Janae Wise on Vimeo.

This is the beginning of what I hope to be a series of many short workouts that I will post to the blog.

This first workout is less than 20 minutes long and is a total body workout. You can expect to raise your heart rate, get sweaty, tone and firm, and you’ll also get a bit of core work (although I’m saving my fave exercises for my 10 minute core workout in an upcoming video). Add a 10 minute brisk walk or jog sometime during your day, and you’ve got a full 30 minutes of exercise to your busy day.

Hope you have fun, and if you have any comments, questions, or suggestions, please let me know below! I love to hear from you.

Comments

1. Paula
    on May 15, 2012 at 4:31 am said:

This is a great video! It's a fun quick workout, I enjoyed the sprints of aerobics mixed with the body weights. Also really liked that you had captioned in what the next move would be. That really helped me not miss a beat and get the best workout for my time. Thanks!

2. Mrs. Vanna Z
    on May 8, 2012 at 2:42 am said:

I am SO sore from your videos I did two days ago! (Good sign!)I did this one today and loved it. They go by so fast!!! I look forward to more videos!

3. Whole Foods Vegan Momma
    on April 5, 2012 at 4:35 pm said:

Becca: Thanks for the suggestion, will do. As soon as my new site is up, it will be SO easy to find links, so the headache of trying to find what you want will be alleviated :).

4. Becca
    on April 5, 2012 at 11:34 am said:

This morning I did my Zumba Fitness Express video (20 minutes) and went right on to your video. Perfect combination, I am proud of myself! Little suggestion: could you put a link to the video somewhere more central (maybe on the starting page)? Early in the morning there´s simply little time to search (and you are posting so much right now which is wonderful but makes it harder to find). Thank you!

5. Whole Foods Vegan Momma
    on April 2, 2012 at 5:52 pm said:

Ashlee: Thanks for the compliment. I too, am a variety junkie. I've realized that steady state cardio, like 45 or 50 minutes of just hi-lo aerobics, may be fun, but it doesn't do a lot to change body composition. Hi-intensity intervals in combination with resistance training (with weights, tubing, medi-ball, or body weight exercises) do much more in terms of increasing lean body mass and helping to lower body fat %, especially in combination with an excellent diet. I agree with you, teaching is a ton of fun. Hope you can get back into it soon. You have a gorgeous smile, and looks like you have plenty of energy to back it up, which is one of the more important aspects of an instructor.

6. Whole Foods Vegan Momma
    on April 2, 2012 at 5:44 pm said:

Just wondering who anonymously posted three different times about jogging? I like to see that there's actually a human behind comments, since I do get spammed a lot, so not sure. I'm not sure who I'm responding to, since the anti-jogging posts are anonymous, but if you take anytime to read what I have to say about exercise or watch the video, I am not a "jogger" or runner. In the video I do 2 minutes, at most of a variety of jogging in place moves, so I don't really know where these comments are coming from.For the record, I personally hate running, and for exercise opt for a variety of movements that will not only get my heart rate up but will also help me to work on overall strength, agility, and flexibility.If the anonymous commenter has a name and is a person, please indicate so, otherwise, I'll just assume it's spam (you wouldn't believe the nonsense spam I get in the comment sections of some of older posts, it's often hilarious, offensive, and occasionally just gibberish), and future anonymous posts will be deleted.Thanks so much! Melissa: Thanks for sharing those two articles. Fact is, do what you enjoy doing. I think runners can continue to run for health/emotional/social reasons, but need to be aware of the importance of cross-training, good shoes, and overuse injuries that may occur if they're not taking care of their bodies (ie. flexibility training, days off, etc.

7. Melissa DeLeon
    on April 2, 2012 at 5:04 pm said:

10 Reasons why jogging is good for you. (March 23, 2012 – New Zealand)http://www.nzwomansweekly.co.nz/health-home/health/10-reasons-why-jogging-is-good-for-you/Jog or Walk? Both Boost Your Health.(St. John Providence — Michigan)http://www.stjohnprovidence.org/HealthInfoLib/swArticle.aspx?1,2035I like the second one better, but the first made me laugh, since it was just published a week ago and promotes jogging for Women's Health — in direct contradiction of the multiple postings above.

8. Anonymous
    on April 2, 2012 at 12:52 pm said:

If you want to do something like jogging, then forget it. I had college profs who were jogging [addicts], truly addicted, and after the relatively few years that they regularly did this, they were in serious joint pain and had to take cortisone. Jogging is NOT healthy.Fast-paced walking, long and fast enough to gain cardiovascular benefits over a prolonged period, at least 15- or 20-minutes and non-stop, provides the needed benefits.Rather than jog, do fast-paced walking, swimming, cross-country skiing, and squash, fe; long enough to gain real physical benefits. I lost the rotary cuff in the right shoulder due to a football injury when age 15, so am limited. But, I've done plenty of fitness training anyway; just the right shoulder being handicapped. For me, real athletic activities require both muscular and cardiovascular work. Duration/endurance swimming is one example. Do 40 laps non-stop in an olympic sized or length swimming pool, f.e.. It'll provide high-resistance/endurance cardio exercise. In Ottawa, a message therapist who was treating me for hyperextended shoulder was astounded and added that I was in much better fitness than many of the pros of the Ottawa football team and that he treated. They didn't and still don't know how to properly train.They didn't get proper training and we have the same thing in many other areas. A lot of people pretend to be able to provide healthy food recipes (online) and many or most are lacking full healthy. Vegans regularly forget that soy is an allergenic substance and that alternatives should be mentioned.Treadmills probably aren't worth any money (junk!). Real walking, and fast-paced surely is much better; and it should include up- and down-hill walking. We have different muscles, as Dr Ellington Darden, director or former director of the Nautilus company's fitness and health training HQ's in Florida wrote back in the 1990s. When we work in one direction, then one set of muscles work, but when we work in the opposite direction, then another set of muscles is emphasized. Postive, upward motion against resistance works frontal muscles, while downwad, negative motion works the back muscles, and they're the strong ones. They can't fully develop, unless exercising them is specifically done; something most people don't do.I hiked up Mount Washington plenty of times with a few different people. We were of different body structures and while they could climb as fast as a rabbit, they had difficulty coming back down. For me, it was opposite and I could not only be acrobatic-like coming down, I could also run good lengths.Anyway, we have different muscles and some are stronger than others, and that's speaking of the same general parts of the body; not different parts.Dr Darden's books on fitness training with Nautilus-brand equipment and free weights definitely make a lot of bio-mechanical/physiological sense, and these were very inexpensive; only costing $12 or $13 per book during the first half of the 1990s. Nautilus-brand equipment is FAR from inexpensive, but his books weren't solely about this equipment.Human physiology in terms of bio-mechanical and cardiovascular exerise aren't the domain of dietary experts. Some might know a lot of this science, but like with very many recipe-producers, many often only know their "trade" and that very often is in half-butt manner.Give up jogging. It isn't healthy.

9. Anonymous
    on April 2, 2012 at 12:07 pm said:

Some corrections for what I just posted:Quote: "What the science said a couple of decades ago was that the impact on knee and ankle joints, knee anyway, was roughly the equivalent of 3-times the joggers body weight and joints are naturally made or developed for this."Correction: "and joints aren't naturally made or developed for this".Quote: "Walking, fast-paced, was said to be much better and, based on common sense, is better; but sprinting, fast running doesn't cause excessive impact."That's from what I was told by a real athletic who worked at an athletics center I was member of in Ottawa, and what he said definitely makes bio-mechanical sense, or even simply mechanical.

10. Anonymous
    on April 2, 2012 at 12:02 pm said:

Jogging is NOT healthy. Sprinting is good, but jogging causes a 3-fold impact on knee and ankle joints, unless scientific findings have drastically changed over the past two decades. If they have at all changed, then I doubt that they could've changed this much; for jogging is much slower motion and will, in mechanical or bio-mechanical physics terms, cause more impact, compared to fast movement. What the science said a couple of decades ago was that the impact on knee and ankle joints, knee anyway, was roughly the equivalent of 3-times the joggers body weight and joints are naturally made or developed for this. Walking, fast-paced, was said to be much better and, based on common sense, is better; but sprinting, fast running doesn't cause excessive impact. And from what I gathered, fast runnng should be done by first placing down the balls of the feet, BEFORE the heels.Food diet and physical sciences of other kinds aren't equal. Your dietary regime seems fine, but jogging isn't a recommendable exercise.

11. Whole Foods Vegan Momma
    on April 1, 2012 at 6:55 pm said:

Roseanna: I too, am a pear shape, and have loathed that fact, until I discovered the beauty of muscle resistance training. Adding an emphasis on upper body toning in my workouts has helped me to get definition in my arms, and similar to you, make it so my upper body and lowerbody are a bit more balanced. So I'd LOVE to do an upper body video. Have you found any good plant-milks? So many out there now, it's amazing. I was reminded of this fact yesterday when I went out for a quick shopping trip and had to get some more almond milk. My fave brand is unsweetened (I really don't like sweet plant milk) 40 calories per cup, which I love–makes it easy to add to dishes without adding a lot of calories. Thank you for the compliment, my arms are not naturally toned, but as I mentioned, with body weight exercises & consistent toning w/ weights, I've gotten a little definition, without the bulky look.I don't think it's unusual for vegetarians to do what you've done–rely heavily on dairy and prepackaged meals for nutrition, which as you know, isn't the greatest way to go about it, but it's certainly not the worst thing a person could do either. I'm so excited for you to be a new reader of the blog, please comment as much as you'd like, and hopefully I and other readers can be of some help! You're definitely NOT alone!

12. Roseanna
    on April 1, 2012 at 2:17 pm said:

Hello Janae,Thanks for replying to my comment – that's so kind!I have been a vegetarian for about six years now but for some reason I have resisted going vegan partly because I was still a bit brainwashed re how dairy is essential for your health and also because my group of friends (one is a doctor and his wife is a nurse) would be appalled if I cut out dairy as well as meat – where would I get my protein and calcium etc!!!) My husband is a meat eater and I don't think he will ever change but he has cut down his meat and dairy intake an awful lot since I went vegetarian so that's good.He also is very supportive too and does not mind me going vegan at all. Regarding fitness videos, I would love if you could do one focused on the upper body. I am really bony and slight in the chest and arms area and I hate it. My lower body has plenty of bulk but my upper body make me look really thin. I guess I am a pear shape so I would love to have a more balanced look. I cant seem to find any DVDs that are aimed at that area alone.I think you have got lovely muscle definition in your upper body and that is what I would love to have – then hopefully everyone will stop thinking I am too skinny!I definitely think that my increased intake of veggies, fruit and carbs (whole wheat pasta and rice) is helping. To be honest my diet has been pretty poor for a vegetarian and I was practically living on veggie ready meals and dairy. I have cut the dairy right back and have got myself a B12 supplement as you advise and then hopefully within a few weeks the dairy will be gone – yippee!Sorry for the really long reply btwRoseanna xox

13. Ashlee
    on April 1, 2012 at 1:32 pm said:

Janae — This is awesome! Your workout format is similar to the classes I taught called, "Power Fit and Firm," or, Boot Camp. I really enjoy alternating back and forth between cardio and weights. It switches things up, and helps you get the most effective workout in whatever time you have. Makes me want to get back into teaching, only two weeks without it and it's killing me! My walking has been really enjoyable.You are totally inspiring!!AshleeAshlee

14. Whole Foods Vegan Momma
    on April 1, 2012 at 5:14 am said:

Roseanna: You are welcome! I'm sure you really ARE busy–but you can squeeze 20 minutes in somewhere, right?I'm happy to hear your feeling better transitioning from vegetarian to vegan. You're more than likely getting more servings of vegetables and replacing higher calorie foods (like cheese and butter) with lower calorie starches and vegetables, which if so, is part of the reason you're feeling more energized. How long have you been vegetarian, btw?And more videos, coming up just for you :)! (do you have any particular requests?)Meggie: It'll be back to the good ol' days again, won't it?

15. Meggie
    on March 31, 2012 at 6:47 pm said:

Awesome! Can't wait to workout to this video!

16. Roseanna
    on March 31, 2012 at 3:43 pm said:

Wow thanks so much for this – really good workout and perfect for me as I don't get much time for exercise (excuses excuses).I think you and your blog are going to change my life! I have only been reading your blog for less than a week and I am already transitioning from vegetarian to vegan and am feeling healthier, more positive and more energised already thanks to your advice and recipes – love it!!Can't wait for more videos.Roseanna xox