She’s Here (!).

Yes, she finally came. Only 3 days past her due date.

Here’s a belly picture taken when my (real) contractions began on Wednesday afternoon (February 16).

I had just gotten my haircut (the only thing left to do after having a facial, 2 massages, a manicure, and pedicure, not in the same day though!) and had gotten back from a 2.5 mile walk.

Contractions were somewhat sporadic through the evening so I decided to go to bed. After a mostly sleepless night filled with a spattering of intense contractions, I went to the hospital at 3:30 in the morning and had the wee one around 8 am.

Here she is, a little camera shy. We are really proud of her hair! Our first child to have much by way of hair at this age. I like to fluff it up after her bath, a la Rod Stewart. Born 7 pounds, 9 oz. We named her Salem.

I could not have had such an awesome (yes natural! more details on that later…) birth experience without the help of my 1) husband 2) sister 3) and amazing dula (who birthed 3, 11 pound + babies naturally!). Below, is my dula on the left, and sister on the right.

My husband and I are in agreeance. Since we’ve added another to our brood, it seems as if someone has hit the fast forward button. We blink, and another day has gone by, and there are still so many things left undone.
I am thrilled that I am no longer pregnant (an understatement). I feel fantastic, and my desire to eat vegetables and all the deliciousness of my old vegan favorites has returned! I’m back in the kitchen (as much as I can be at this stage), and went grocery shopping today and was ecstatic to peruse the produce aisle and salivate as I looked at the variety of colorful and vibrant fruits and vegetables.
So I’m back world! It may take me awhile to figure out how to live as a mom of four, but I’m back. As soon as I can, I will share my birth experience, which thanks to your words of support, helped in part to contribute to an amazing natural birth.

Comments

1. Atwood-Family of 4
    on March 3, 2011 at 9:01 pm said:

Congrats! You look like you are about 20 weeks pregnant in that picture right before she came! Congrats on the natural labor as well! I thought you did homebirths though? I can understand the excitement in not being pregnant anymore, so cheers to you and cheers to Salem, who looks healthy and beautiful!

2. matscigirl
    on March 2, 2011 at 10:16 pm said:

Also coming out of lurkdom to say congratulations and what a lovely family you have!

3. sara
    on March 2, 2011 at 7:23 pm said:

congratulations! salem is so cute and i love the name! oh and your new haircut is cute, as well. hope you and baby are doing great.

4. Dreena
    on March 1, 2011 at 5:26 pm said:

My big and warm congratulations to you and your family. She is just lovely and adorable and altogether precious! I remember that feeling of wanting to get some normality back into daily living, and when things would adjust. Try to take it easy, as much as possible – I know, that's hard to do! Rest when you can… enjoy these moments. ๐Ÿ™‚

5. Melanie
    on February 28, 2011 at 3:48 am said:

Congratulations!!! She looks beautiful! And so do you. ๐Ÿ™‚

6. Cindy
    on February 26, 2011 at 6:29 pm said:

Congratulations Janae! I am so happy for you and your family! Salem is darling, and I hope you get a chance to have lots of rest and bonding time with her.

7. tbsomeday
    on February 26, 2011 at 2:13 pm said:

CONGRATULATIONS!!she's BEAUTIFUL!!love the name!

8. Anonymous
    on February 26, 2011 at 1:07 pm said:

Welcome Salem! She is beautiful! Looking forward to reading your blog.

9. Joya
    on February 26, 2011 at 2:01 am said:

Congratulations!!! What a BEAUTIFUL little girl!

10. Jaime
    on February 25, 2011 at 10:19 pm said:

Congrats!!! Oh, I'm looking forward to about 3 weeks when food sounds appetizing to me again as well! Way to go, she is beautiful!

11. Sabrina
    on February 25, 2011 at 6:35 pm said:

Congratulations. I love the name Salem and all that dark hair is adorable. May you continue to have a smooth adjustment period.

12. cherelli
    on February 25, 2011 at 3:19 pm said:

Congratulations – Salem is beautiful!!

13. Teresa
    on February 25, 2011 at 11:01 am said:

Love it btw, bird nest (www.geocities.jp/hongkong_bird_nest/index_e.htm) is made up of about 58% soluable proteins…the highest amoung all food and even synetic protein powders it greatly increase tissue regeneration

14. Alissa @ Not Just Apples
    on February 25, 2011 at 8:35 am said:

Congratulations and well done!

15. ECW74
    on February 25, 2011 at 2:49 am said:

Coming out of lurkdom to tell you Congratulations on your beautiful baby! We added baby number 4 to our family in October and can totally relate to your feelings about the days simply flying.

16. Anonymous