9 Months

I’m sitting in my kitchen sipping some iced sparkling mineral water flavored with a hint of fresh lemon juice (thanks to a dear husband).

So yes, this means I am still alive, with baby still in the belly.

I suppose I owe an explanation as to where I’ve been. Easy:

Sleeping. Eating. And being mom to three kids. And getting a house ready to sell. Teaching fitness classes (really, I still am). Which leaves little time for anything else. Although I did get a nasty cold the other week and read Tess of the Durbervilles while I laid around, which considering it’s a 500 page novel, felt pretty good about myself since reading has become such a guilty pleasure in my current life.

Getting ready to have a baby, getting ready to sell a house. It’s a nice convergence of circumstance, don’t you think? My husband got his dream job which will require us to move from our treasured historic home to somewhere (unknown at this time) that is not here. I’ve been decluttering, painting, rearranging, ect. ect. All of those things you do to get a house ready to flaunt. And I love my house. I mean, I feel like it’s a living, breathing thing. An art form, in the truest sense. It will be sad to let it go. But I digress.

I’m still pregnant. Less than one week till the due date. Pregnancy is hard. I’m not talking this pregnancy, but just pregnancy in general, although this one hasn’t been a piece of cake (but then again, I’m not one of those blessed souls who get nine months of glowing bliss). Aside from the obvious physical changes, there’s the fact that things are not just not normal. Hormones are all out of whack, eating patterns and tastes are unpredictable. It’s nice to know, 1) This will end soon. 2) The end will bring a beautiful, bright, baby girl.

Also, I have a few confessions. I’ve been a lousy cook. I haven’t tried out any new recipes in months. Dinner tonight, took less than 20 minutes–angel hair pasta, light tomato sauce, veggie meatballs (the pre-made, pre-cooked kind that you throw in the oven for 10 minutes to defrost), garlic bread, and steamed broccoli. And so it goes. Pregnancy has sucked all the pleasure out of cooking and eating. But I have faith it will return once this baby leaves my body, and it becomes mine once again (sort of).

Another thing, I have gained a healthy amount of weight. Most of it was in the 1st trimester, as mentioned previously. I’ve gained about 20 pounds since my 1st trimester. I’m not stressed about weight as much as I have in the past. Maybe because there are more important things in life to worry about?? Also, continuing to teach my classes has helped me to maintain a pretty high level of fitness, one that I’m sure would not be possible if I weren’t getting paid to do it. My recovery after birth I anticipate will be rather painless, God willing, or at least relatively brief, and I know it will be in large part due to consistent and balanced workout sessions. I especially recommend Pilates and yoga for pregnancy. Pilates has helped me to maintain some pretty rock solid abs, for a pregnant woman that is.

On my mind now: prepping for labor. It seems so surreal. I’m actually going to have to push another baby out? Like, soon?! I’d like share some of my concerns about going the natural route (I’ve done it three times, but this does not make the thought any less daunting). But for now, sleep sits on my eye lids. I promise to post, again, soon. Thank you for all your kind and supportive thoughts! They keep me going.

Comments

1. JulieMichelle
    on February 15, 2011 at 5:28 pm said:

Wow, its amazing how much you can have in common with someone you've never met… I too have three children, pregnant with the fourth, my third was natural birth, debating natural for my fourth and scared out of my mind. My third was in the hospital and would have prefered a much more quiet, relaxing environment. I have been debating contacting a midwife but I am just so scared by the thought if something went wrong. We are in the process of trying to sell our house, have no idea where we are going to go, my husband is applying for different jobs and life is just crazy! I unfortunately am not even close to living the vegan lifestyle as I'm the only one willing to try and am still working full-time. I keep trying to plan things out but am with no success at this point. But, I did want to say that your posts are very inspiring and I look forward to reading all that you share and wish you luck in your next delivery (if you haven't already had her :)).

2. DawnJ
    on February 13, 2011 at 12:27 pm said:

Just discovered your lovely blog today… love it. 'Tis likely a moot comment, since I'm assuming that you're soaking every moment of your huggable baby girl by now…. I'm sorry, I REALLY know how hard it is to move to 'i don't know where' when your body is in the throws of NESTING MODE! Commisserating with you; and wishing you and yours the BEST of life! Dawn in TN

3. Inkling
    on February 12, 2011 at 6:53 am said:

I'm glad you are okay. I was missing your posts. You are actually the person who inspired me to try foods I had never tried – things like quinoa and barley, turnips and kale, and a zillion other things that are a part of our home. So I am glad to know you are still here, and I can't wait until you are feeling creative in the kitchen again.I hope your birth is wonderful, safe, and smooth. Bless you!

4. Griff-Fam
    on February 10, 2011 at 2:14 pm said:

I've had two natural births, and I plan on more kids, but you're right, it is daunting, even if you've done it before… Best of luck with however it turns out for you… I hope it's a quick and easy labor! I hate cooking when I'm pregnant, and even sometimes when I'm not, so I'm sure you'll be back to normal, soon!

5. julianne
    on February 10, 2011 at 3:12 am said:

I've missed you so! We've not met – but I love your blog. Best to you on the upcoming birth.My fifth child was all natural, born in Japan while a mid wife massaged me through the entire labor. I felt very little pain – the experience was exhilarating. I loved being alert and relaxed when my child was born. It made the miracle of birth so much more joyous. I wish the same for you!Keep us posted!

6. Joya
    on February 9, 2011 at 11:27 pm said:

So glad to hear you're doing well! I've been sending thoughts and prayers your way!

7. tbsomeday
    on February 9, 2011 at 5:36 pm said:

what a very exciting time in your life!enjoy these last few days with you baby always comfortable, fed, and content :)best of luck with your 4th birthi had three natural births as well and it seems there was maybe more to worry about the more you knew :)my 3rd birth was blissfully amazing so i hope this for your 4thyou'll do greatyou're so well prepared

8. Cindy
    on February 9, 2011 at 2:04 pm said:

Hi Janae,It is great to hear from you! I'm glad that things are going well (as much as they can being 9 months pregnant!)I am sorry that you are going to have to move. Your house sounds beautiful. But, what makes a home truly gorgeous is having a loving family–which you will have wherever you live. (And congrats to your husband for finding his dream job!)My thoughts and prayers are with you as you prepare to meet your baby girl.-Cindy

9. Whole Foods Vegan Momma
    on February 9, 2011 at 2:51 am said:

Katrina: With a midwife…this deserves a post, doesn't it?

10. Kayleena
    on February 8, 2011 at 11:29 pm said:

Congratulations on your upcoming baby girl ๐Ÿ™‚ Enjoy those precious first weeks with her. I'm a mommy of 2 (naturally birthed) little ones, obsessed with health and nutrition but have been lazy for a while. I would really like to get back on track and switch to (mostly) vegan cooking. I'm grateful for your encouragment and inspiration, and look forward to reading more of your blog!

11. Sabrina
    on February 8, 2011 at 6:45 pm said:

Good luck with your upcoming birth. I agree, pregnancy is just hard and even if you've had unmedicated labor and delivery before, it doesn't make you less apprehensive the next time around. I am sure with your level of fitness and nutrition though, you are able to get through it better than many.

12. Anonymous
    on February 8, 2011 at 1:56 pm said:

Yeah! Glad to hear you're doing well. Sorry to hear that you'll be leaving your house ๐Ÿ™ I am so interested to hear of your experience with natural birth. Please share if you have the time and energy! Take care!lfwfv

13. Katrina
    on February 8, 2011 at 5:47 am said:

Best of luck with your birth! Do you birth in hospital? Midwife or doc? Just curious. ๐Ÿ™‚ Can't wait to hear all about it! I'm a bit of a birth junkie.