green smoothie burnout during pregnancy

With my last pregnancy, I drank a green smoothie at least once a day, sometimes more. There are lots of variations: kale, spinach, chard, or some other green, add fresh or frozen fruit, some ice, blend.

For some people this is an easy, convenient way to get in a lot of raw greens and fruit.

With this pregnancy, I just can’t do it. I cannot, for the life of me, even look at a green smoothie. Don’t get me wrong, I’m loving the green veggies (raw or cooked), but please, please don’t blend them up in a smoothie or shake. Or else…

I suppose this is just a symptom of smoothie burn out from last pregnancy. Has that ever happened to you? You have so much of one thing, you can’t even look at it anymore?

I suppose the main issue is, I’m pretty attached to chewing. Drinking my meal doesn’t quite cut it for me. I like the experience of chewing, of experiencing a variety of textures and separate flavors. I do like creamy, thick smoothies, though. If it resembles the consistency of frozen yogurt in any way, count me in.

Another thing I’ve found is I have to go easy on the fruit. This is where fruit heavy green smoothies can wreak havoc on my blood sugar. Often several servings of fruit are needed to make the smoothie palatable, adding a lot of sugar (albeit naturally occuring fruit sugar) which for me I have to be careful with.

If you’re a green smoothie lover, good for you. As for me, give me the veggies, and please let me chew them.

Comments

1. Lois
    on December 16, 2010 at 8:22 pm said:

My last pregnancy was like that too. I did a ton of smoothies for awhile and then I was DONE. For me it was the mixture that got to me. I was much better eating my foods separate, especially fruit, one species at a time! (but I ate a TON of them…fruits only helped stabilize my blood sugar when I was pregnant)

2. Rachelle
    on December 13, 2010 at 7:28 pm said:

First I just want to say how much I am LOVING your blog. I have never felt so connected with a blog before! I too am pregnant (with number four, which I think you are too) and am LDS. I know how hard it can be to be judged about the whole Vegan thing as a member of our church. Reading your blog feels me with strength, and EVERYTHING I have read makes me think, "Wow! That is exactly how I feel about that!" ๐Ÿ™‚ Anyways- I too have had green smoothie "burnout" with this pregnancy! It is so odd, because of my love for them. In the first few months I had a total veggie burnout and would throw up just smelling them, luckily my body has returned to it's normal self and I am once again enjoying all of my favorite foods, salads and green smooothies! Congrats on your little one. Thank you so much for sharing your pregnancy experience with us all, this is my first "high vegan" pregnancy, (and still working towards higher) and I am grateful to see your positive experiences!

3. Kristen's Raw
    on November 21, 2010 at 2:53 am said:

I did many green smoothies while pregnant. I've never had burnout, but who knows… maybe it could happen the second time around. :)Good luck!Kristen

4. Joya
    on November 20, 2010 at 2:28 am said:

Mine are banana, spinach, and chia or flax seeds but when I was pregnant, the thought repulsed me:)

5. kitchenrecovery
    on November 20, 2010 at 12:59 am said:

Yeah, I went through that as well. Now just eating a pile of steamed greens is much more appealing. Or the Bieler broth I made last night. Or just salad. Or even green juice with a little sour apple is much more appealing than the smoothies with lots of fruit. I do think they end up being hard on your blood sugar.

6. Atwood-Family of 4
    on November 19, 2010 at 2:07 pm said:

I totally agree on the sugar part. Usually my green smoothies have 2-3 servings of fruit, maybe even some yogurt or juice thrown in. I always think of the high sugar content when I drink it. Although considering my kids and I could eat trix w/ cow's milk I suppose green smoothies are still a much healthier alternative. ๐Ÿ™‚